nav live update dont run

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

somak_de

i have norton antivirus 2001 in p3 win me . my problem is that whenever i run live update then they connect
to the site and say there is no update available. this is happenning
for last 6 months almost. is it a problem or there is no update ?
plz help

The only reason Symantec would say there isn't an update is if there really isn't one, or and more likely you didn't update for the subscription. Did you pay them some cash to get updates? The other option you could try, is uninstalling NAV and reinstalling. Keep in mind that the Norton updater sometimes hangs out after the uninstall. Use add/ remove programs in control panel and look for the Live Update if it's listed separate from NAV. Hope this helps.

Rache

Banned
NAV often just auto updates when you log on to net but it doesn't tell you.

Open up norton and the first line should tell you when the last update was successful. As of 1-31-03 there is protection from 63004 viruses. Hope this helps.

I updated a couple of days ago

As of 1-29-03 there is protection from 62988 viruses

After seeing jm100dm's post - I just did a Live-update and guess what

Norton anti-virus has determined that no update is necessary, you already have the most recent virus definitions files

Guess you get them quicker than we do over here :mad:

steam

somak_de

thank you all for your help
i did not pay anything to norton after buying. i think that is the problem.
but is there any other way so that i can update it.
previously whenever liveupdate was going i have a small icon on my systray.
so i dont think that they are updating it silently.

Steamwiz and somak_de,

Go to the link below and download the first file (20030205-002-i32.xxx) open it up and it will update any norton products found on your computer. Manual updates are available daily I believe. Todays was for 63020 viri.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

somak_de
If it returns that you need to purchase updates you can continue using norton and pay the fee or remove and download a free program.

Rache

Banned
I ran a thoro scan Wed and came up with 7 trojans, so it pays to manual scan sometimes.

somak_de

i've downloaded the file mentioned by you. And it dont run saying that i did not paid the subcription. So i think i have to again pay them to get the update. But what
confused me is that they while i run live update they dont tell that my subcription has expired.
they say that there is no available upadate.

another question: are there any antivirus offering free updates and can they be used with norton

If you want to stay with norton they often sell last years stock with a rebate. That would require paying upfront but later getting a rebate. I'll check to see what I can find.

Another option would be to install a free program and remove NAV.

Only norton updates can update norton.

Rache

Banned
There is a good free av (for 30 days) called Grisoft (AVG). If you get the norton's you'll get free support for 1 yr.

Rache

Banned
I've given the link to free AVG to my son who downloads from places like Kazza with no av protection at all!

somak_de

thank you for your replies. i will try your suggestions but i will be out of the town for this week. so please wait a while for my next reply.
rache: your son should use kaazalite which is spyware free but has te same benefits of kaaza

thank you again to you all

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts