1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NAV Net Detect - Task Scheduler timing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Joseph King, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joseph King

Joseph King Thread Starter

W98SE. Norton Anti-Virus 2003 Professional.

NAV Net Detect (definitions update but not program updates) is set in Task Scheduler to run once daily and in Advanced it's set to run every 5 minutes for 24 hours.

However, yesterday out of prudence I ran NAV Live Update manually. It should only pick up program updates as a rule since definitions should have been picked up within the last five minutes by Net Detect. But it picked up a virus definitions update. It shouldn't have since there was a net connection for the past hour.

So, I looked in Task Scheduler and noticed it said the last time Net Detect was run was about three hours ago, and the next wasn't scheduled for another hour. Watching it since yesterday, it's spaced out every four hours. I don't understand that. I'm sure the only two settings are daily and Advanced saying every 5 minutes for 24 hours.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Joe
    Here is part of the equation for you. I was taken from Nav 2003 standard help file.

-----------------------------------------
    Note: (ISDN users only) By default, automatic LiveUpdate checks for updates to Norton AntiVirus every four hours, when your computer is connected to the Internet. If you have an ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network) router that is set to "Automatically Connect," you could be incurring connection and phone charges every time automatic LiveUpdate runs. If this is a concern, you can disable automatic connection on your ISDN router, or disable automatic LiveUpdate.

Copyright© 2000-2002 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved.
    -----------------------------------------

Dave

3. buf

buf

Hey Joe:
    I use NIS2002 which includes NAV2002 and I have my NetDetect to run only at logon and have no problem with it. Live Update does it's thing whenever there are defs for downloading. I occasionally will manually download/install defs if any are available just prior to to scheduled virus scan run. I depend on Live Update to d/i any and all defs. Hope this helps!!

4. Joseph King

Dave,

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't see anything in Help or Options that allows one to change that, either. I could swear I recall talking to NAV tech support and being told that I can set it to every five minutes in Advanced in Task Scheduler if I want to. I guess it's not designed to respond to that, at least not 2003 (I'm sure we had that conversation about a previous version prior to 2003, probably 2002).

Oh, well. All the more reason to do a manual LiveUpdate often.

Thanks!

5. Joseph King

buf,

We seem to have crossed paths while posting...

I think you're inadvertently confirming that there are things going on that aren't terribly obvious. If you have it do Net Detect only at logon, yet you rely on LiveUpdate to do its thing whenever new defs are avail, do you mean you rely on LiveUpdate only at logon or "any time"? If any time, to me that means it has to be scheduled to check for updates often in Task Scheduler.

6. buf

buf

Joe:
    I interpret NetDetect to mean that it will cause Live Update to check for virus defs. I perhaps am wrong but if I am correct, then I do not want it checking every 5 minutes; not even each hour. LU supposedly updates just once a week unless there are greater numbers of viruses being reported. I manually update just prior to my scheduled weekly HDD NAV scan IF there are updates available.
    Additionally, if I am scanning my HDD or running defrag, I don't want NetDetect interrupting those jobs. (I don't always remember to run those in Safe Mode :p ) Hope you find a workable answer to the question you raised and also hope that none of what I have reported here causes you a problem or confusion. Please, anyone, feel free to correct me if I should be wrong. I am still learning also and guess I always will be in a learning mode!!:D

7. Joseph King

buf,

Thanks again for your feedback and please be assured you're helping and not hurting.

Most of what I know is consistent with how you see it, really. I know for sure that Symantec updates the virus definitions once a week, on Wednesdays, "unless" there's a serious need to get an update out in the interim. I also know for sure -- well, this may have changed with 2003 for all I know, but it was definitely the case with 2002 -- the Net Detect auto-updates will only update virus definitions, not address updates to the program itself. Those can (or could) only be obtained with a manual Live Update.

I fully agree that Task Scheduler should be paused or closed during defrag. I asked Norton about a virus definitions update occurring while a HDD virus scan (or just a current email scan) was in effect, and the rep didn't seem too sure whether it would matter. I tend to give Symantec credit for having their act together on this and designing it so there won't be any problems.

The reason I like to see the virus definitions updated very often (besides that I have a constant DSL connection and never really see it checking) is that I've had the experience of coming within minutes of being blasted by a newly prolific virus a year or two ago. I had done a definitions update -- manually -- and about an hour later a few emails came in with a new, bad news virus that had just started to spread like wildfire over the web. NAV caught it because of that definitions update I had manually done an hour ago. Had I waited for the what-seems-to-be-four-hour interval of the Net Detect updates check, it would have been too late.

I have a business system here. I'd infinitely prefer to be safe than sorry when it comes to virus protection. Yes, I do backups, but not "every single day," and the time to restore the system after a nasty virus hits is far more than the time it costs me to allow auto-update checks to frequently check for the rare time that a definitions update was just issued on an urgent basis, which would mean I want it "now!"

I still don't know, however, if there's a convention we should technically be adhering to with respect to the distinction between the terms Net Detect and Live Update. I'm also still very confused as to why the scheduled item for Net Detect in Task Scheduler says once daily and then says in Advanced "every five minutes for 24 hours" yet that results in it actually being once every four hours (which is apparently the case based on the "last" and "next" readings).

Oh, well!!!

Thanks again for your input, man.

8. buf

buf

And thanks for your return favor in describing your understanding of NAV and NetDetect. I believe we are on the same page and we just accomplish the same desired resulting protection in a different way.
    I am still using the NIS2002 but I bought the NIS2003 but have not yet installed it. My virus defs subscription doesn't expire until next year and I will probably just wait 'til then to install 2003. Are you liking your 2003 as well as 2002? I really have grown accustomed to it and have even considered just paying the defs renewal fee next year. Probably the same software as far as virus protection is concerned!!
    Keep the defs updated and stay protected big guy.

9. Joseph King

buf,

This becomes purely personal preference so let me just share mine with you in case it gives you any more to go on in making your choices.

When it comes to Windows, I like to wait a good six months after the initial release of a major new version so they can get more of the bugs out before I install it. (The reason I haven't gone to XP or 2000 yet is mainly just time and budget limitations for now.)

I use an external router and am convinced after talking with a lot of techs that this gives all the Internet security you could ever want in terms of anyone ever being able to actually access your computer without permission. I'm told it's better than any firewall software and infinitely less fraught with potential complications. (This is not the same as someone dumping spyware, adware, or similar malicious tidbits on your computer, but rather does what a firewall would do... "as far as I know".)

When it comes to something like NAV, though, I see it two ways. One, there's no reason not to go to the latest version since I'm sure they debug it far more than MS debugs Windows before a release. Besides, there's not that much complexity to it and not much can go wrong with the design, and for that matter there's not that much new with a newer version. Having said that, though, the other issue is that they probably add a few useful new touches with a newer version -- which may very well include improved ability to deal with a Net Detect-initiated definitions update while it's in the midst of a HDD scan. I'd think if nothing else a newer version is less likely to have any minor issues with it.

As to whether to install it only when the current subscription runs out so as to save money, that's entirely up to you. As I said, budget has been an issue for me with Windows and hardware. I don't see virus protection as being an area where it's worth the savings of a few dollars a year, though, if it means any compromised in protection. I will tell you, though, that I asked NAV tech support the difference between NAV 2000 versus 2002 and they said the actual protection was essentially identical. They just added some nice touches like XP support, ability to check outgoing mail, and the like. Just the same, I went with it. There are too many little issues that need to be managed under unusual circumstances and I don't want to compromise virus protection. For instance, how does it handle the decisions over what is a valid software download or installation versus what is not? I don't know if that's purely in the definitions or somewhat uses other parts of the software.

Anyway, I opt for the most current at this point. It's worth the cost to me.

As to NIS, I really don't know what it does or doesn't do, but I know that Norton System Works and the predecessor Norton Utilities ended up often being much more trouble than it was worth, with lots of bells and whistles to impress the novice user but not much useful functionality that wasn't available through far more efficient means if any serious talks needed to be done. And it introduced lots of potential for problems, and ate up resources. I got rid of Norton Utilities once I learned the truth about it. Even a Norton tech told me there's little usefulness to any part of System Works other than Ghost if you ever need to use it. That was about two years ago, though. As I said, I know nothing of NIS.

Good luck!

P.S. As a side comment, I really like NAV and prefer it over any other virus protection software, but I have always found Symantec's instructions to be very poorly written, both in Help and on their web site. Remarkably bad, in fact. I consider myself a pretty bright guy and there's little I can't understand in IT if it's explained to me, yet Symantec seems to have a very hard time with providing sufficiently thorough and sufficiently coherent, understandable information in Help and on their web site.

J

10. buf

buf

Thanks Joe K. for your thoughts and sharing of them.
    I have and use the external Linksys BEFSR41 and while there is supposedly some firewall benefits for those who use it, I still find comfort in the NIS2002 firewall software, including the NAV as a part of NIS. You are probably right that 2003 has added upgrades over the 2002 and earlier versions but I am familiar with the 2002. I have the email automatic virus checking on both incoming/outgoing emails.
    I hurriedly add a SECOND to your PS. Trying to understand their techs support emails is virtually impossible.
    BTW, and for whatever it's worth, my PC checks out Stealth in every category when I have Steve Gibson's software check it.

11. Elfus

Elfus

Can someone tell me what this means? On my Norton net detect is says it can't run because there is no mapping between account names and security. IDs was done. What does all this mean? I noticed on one of my pc's when Norton needed to be updated the icon on the task bar would blink. It wouldn't do this on my lap top so I did some checking. This is when I came across this Net Detect. How can I fix it? Does anyone know?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice