1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NAV takes too long....

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Koondaddy, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Koondaddy

Koondaddy Thread Starter

I have NAV 2003 and whenever I run it, it takes me 1-1/2 hours. I know that's not the norm and the def are up to date.....any idea why this is happening?

Thanks!

2. Bruce319

Bruce319

The more data you have in your hard drive, the longer it takes to run.

3. Topkat

Topkat

I'm using the 2002 version and roughly 18/19 GB takes 1/2hr. Is this approx what you're dealing with. If so then your NAV is fine

4. TOGG

TOGG

NAV 2003 takes just over an hour to check two partitions on my 13GB HDD so yours' does not sound too bad.

I use mine on Manual scan and have most of the options ticked, including scanning within compressed files. Check your Options and see what happens if you change some of them.

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

80 gigs takes around 3 hours for me. It's all going to depend on your hard drive size. Also make sure the drive has been recently defraged.

6. Koondaddy

Koondaddy Thread Starter

Well, this is what I have....and no, I haven't defragged in awhile. I'll do that & check my settings to see if there is anything I can change. I am just thinking what we did at an old job....we would take their hard drive out of their pc and slave it to ours. Boot up on ours and then run a virus scan on theirs and fix problems....that never took tht long tho.....Hmmmm...

18.6gb with 6.19gb free &
    37.2gb with 7.55gb free.

7. Koondaddy

Koondaddy Thread Starter

OH hey....my 18gb is NTFS and my other is FAT32...would that make a big difference?

8. Koondaddy

Koondaddy Thread Starter

I just defragged my 18gb NTFS drive and it only too 5-1/2 hours. Please don't tell me that's normal.....LOL

9. raybro

raybro

There are a couple of variables in defrag. First, did the process run continuous or was it interuppted numerous times. If you have other processes running (AV, system doctor, etc.) they can do this. Disable any processes that do this. Another is (as mentioned) how long it been since defrag has been done.

I have found the most significant variable to be the size of the partition being defragged and the amount of data on that partition. Since I configured my system to have the OS on a dedicated 2.5Gb partition and programs and files on a seperate partition, defrag of the OS partition takes as little as 1 minute. The longest time I recall was 4 minutes when it was at 93%.

Regarding the original question about virus scan. A full system scan with NAV 2002 on my Win98SE takes 30 - 40 minutes. My hard drive total capacity distributed across two HDD's is 52Gb. the amount of space used is 32Gb. That will give you some idea of how much data is scanned in that time. I have no restrictions in the scan.

10. Koondaddy

Koondaddy Thread Starter

No, this was the first time I did that (defragged) in a very long time.

I know that everytime a screen saver would come on it has the posibility of restarting the defrag...so I had everything like that disabled and all windows closed....I don't have any other programs like that so nothing else was running.

Thanks Ray!

11. adambailey

adambailey Guest

simple get a computer with more memory or clean you hard drive a bit i have 512mb and nav 2003 takes 15 minutes

12. mobo

mobo

For the optimal results from your defrag attempt try doing so from safe mode.

13. Koondaddy

Koondaddy Thread Starter

I have 384mb of ran....but I agree about cleaning out a bunch of stuff.....

I was wondering if I could run it from safe mode....I'll try that next time.

Thanks!

14. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Yes that's one of the best things about safe mode. If you can, always scan and defrag in safe mode ;)

15. Koondaddy

Koondaddy Thread Starter

GREAT! Thank you all for your info....I appreciate it.
    (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice