1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NAV2005 LU thinks my wxp is a w98??!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Worried19, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

I installed NAV2005 on my wxp-he. When I run LiveUpdate, it doesn't complete the installation of the NortonAntivirus update, instead saying:

Windows 98 4.10.2222

NAVNT 11.0.1

Your Operating System is Windows 98/Me. This update is not desiged for Windows 98/Me.

Yesterday I was on the computer about 12 hours, off and on with tech support.

I had already uninstalled NAV, installed sp2, reinstalled NAV2005, same problem. Norton said remove and reinstall NAV. I told them I already had. Do it again. Did. Same result. Second call, they said call hp and have them fix bad sectors and try again. Did (they had me run scandisk, then run sfc /purgenow, then run sfc /scannow), same result. Third call to Norton, uninstalled NAV LU LiveReg through add/remove, then took out of the registry and removed all symantec folders on the drive (except for three that wouldn't leave), then reinstalled. She guaranteed me this time no problem. Wouldn't stay on the line for the reinstall. Hung up, reinstalled, got same problem.

Yes, I have a W98SE 4.10.2222, but the NAV2005 CD doesn't know it. And NAV2005 hasn't been installed on it (though NAV2004 was). Yes, it has been networked through a router to the wxp, but the network card hasn't worked in ages (the w98 can't get to the Internet and the w98 and wxp can't see each other, and for the final 2 installations of NAV2005 above, the w98 was unplugged from the router).

My wxp has always been xp, not upgraded from 98. Why does LiveUpdate think my computer is w98 rather than wxp?

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Norton is and always has been a law unto itself,not even its own people know how it works,there is no question it is seeing that Windows 98 somehow,and in my opinion until you get rid of that your not going to get what you want, you may get other replies telling you different hopefully ....good luck

3. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

As I have said, my w98 has no connection to the router or the Internet or the wxp, and NAV2005 has not been installed on the w98, though NAV2004 had been.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/332900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice