1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Navigation pane enquiry in Outlook 2010

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by LittleBlackDuck, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleBlackDuck

LittleBlackDuck Thread Starter

G'day Oh Knowledgable Ones..

Please excuse any descriptive anomalies in this enquiry, because I'm overall a PC dummy of 73yrs of age, and definitely not a geek! ... :eek:
    I have recently been obliged to buy a new PC tower which comes, as it would now, with Win7 and Office 2010.
    My enquiry is to do with the Navigation Pane in Outlook. I trust that's the right description for the list of email files running down the LHS of the Pane?
    There are three main files there, which can be opened up into files, and sub-files, when created, within them ... (much like OE used to be in my old WinXP equipped PC ... whose Hard Drive bit the dust!)
    These three main files are Outlook Data File, my wife's Email Address followed by my Email Address.
    Both the Outlook Data File, and my wife's Email Address folder, when opened, list the following sub-files in descending order automatically - Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, Deleted Items, Junk, Outbox, and Search files. The Outlook Data File also has an RSS Feeds file ... whatever that's used for? ... sitting between the Outbox and Search Folders File.

However ... My Email Address folder, when opened, only shows Inbox ... into which everything goes, both inwards and outwards, with the exception of Drafts, which appear in the Outlook Data File's Drafts file, where, as luck would have it, they can be opened and sent from there later. Any deleted files go into a subfolder titled Trash, which automatically appears as a sub-file when my Inbox is opened ... together with any subsequently created sub-folders/files.

I would like to be able to use the Navigation Pane in the same way that my wife's email address file can be used, standardising it with the same files or folders to enable me to have my own email files separated and appearing within their various categories, rather than all in together in the Inbox. :confused:

But I do not want to lose quite a few emails I've both sent and received so far, which can currently be accessed from the Inbox, and the created sub-folders within it, assuming I'd have to start over creating a new Account(?) ... although that's only a guess. ... :eek:

Perhaps ... no definitely ... some guidance and/or advice as to whether this problem can be fixed. This would be greatly appreciated by this Little Black Duck. However, I am able to use all my email facilties as they are now, albeit not in the usual categorised way if it can't be. I'll just have to live with it as is! :(

Regards from Oz ... :)

David (Daffy)

2. LittleBlackDuck

LittleBlackDuck Thread Starter

Hmmm ... Perhaps this is the wrong area to ask this question ... I'll give it another 3 days and then give up, as apparently nobody knows the answer, or possibly doesn't care ... or it can't be fixed, but I'd like to have known about it. After receiving no replies, either +ve or -ve, although so far there have been well over 200 views, after that I'll give up on this site entirely and just ask my local PC Guru.
    A pity!
    Daffy.

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!