1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Navy policies regarding recruits who take psyche meds?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Servant of Eru, Apr 24, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru Thread Starter

Hello, me again, been awhile, been busy. I have a question, and I figured that this was as good a place to ask it as any since Earthtech and several others that I know of here are in the Marines....which if I'm not mistaken is an extension of the Navy right?

Anyway, I'm strongly considering signing up for at least a two year tour, in hopes that I can get a job on one of the boats or subs running the computers, tracking enemy ships etc. I've been doing a wee bit of research and from what I've been finding out, the training you get in the Navy for those types of jobs can be an extremely useful launchpad for a Computer IT or Hardware, or even coding Imagine as a career. My only concern is that I am on a regimen of psyche meds for various problems the most major one is Bi-Polar Manic Depressive; and I've heard that at least for the regular combat soldier positions, they do not accept people on my type of medications, because if they ran out while in combat, the consequences could be deadly not only for the patient, but as well as his fellow soldiers.

I'm wondering if the rules are different for those on the boats, as that's more or less a more secure enviroment, and I don't imagine I'd be in a position where alot of firearm training and usage would be required either.

Before now, I'd pretty much counted out ever signing up for the military, not because I don't want to serve my country or anything, but because I'm really no good at fighting, and really have no desire to be, as well as my disability.

But I'm thinking if the regulations are different for those that aren't in active combat, then it would hold serious appeal because of the potential training and knowledge I could gather while serving. Not to mention that I'd be getting alot of training while being paid, that I'd normally have to pay for in college or whatnot. :cool:

I'm really hoping that the rules are different for those not in combat, although I won't exactly be heartbroken as I only started to consider this in the past couple of days.

Thanks,

J.T. Griffith

2. slickoe

slickoe

I am a former Marine; the Marines are ADMINISTRATIVELY under the department of the Navy; they are not a branch of the navy.

You cannot enlist for only 2 years; in fact the extremely tech oriented areas you seek have very long schools which may require extended (beyond 4 year) enlistments.

I am also bipolar- I was diagnosed after I got out, however, I take lithium and depakote

If you act out while you are enlisted you could very well get sent up for a psyche eval and get a medical discharge

I think it is HIGHLY IMPROBABLE you coule even get in with a diagnosis of manic/bipolar in the first place. Talk to a recruiter to be sure but I doubt you would even be allowed to flip an egg.

If so, the Navy is out. Trust me. Navy life sucks. Go for the Air Force. Less BS ritual, more forward thinkers, and tons of tech MOS's. Plus it's harder to get in so you will be among a higher caliber.

3. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

SOE I am surprised you got such a controlled response from a Marine after asking if they were Under the Navy! ;)
    Whatever you do, do not refer to a Marine as a Sea Going Bellhop! :D

4. slickoe

slickoe

Marines LOVE sea duty on a Navy ship, tho; it is HIGHLY sought after. Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

5. Servant of Eru

That's the thing though, my academic track record isn't all that great in the first place. :( I'm a sharp one, and it's not for lack of intelligence...more of a matter of issues with the mixture of religion and academics they had at the school that I was at. I was of course at a private school that was supposed to have religion in it. But the stuff that pissed me off wasn't really their spin on religion, but the way they applied it to academic subjects that were more or less non related. For instance, one time in English, the teacher assigned us an essay on abortion, and insisted we put her spin on it, making her case for it, with here belief system rather than our own. I mean, abortion is an extremely controversial topic, and I'm not gonna make a case for what I don't believe in, especially when my opinion is the minority, as I felt that it was even more important that I voice my opinion there because otherwise, some of the people might not even consider it.

So, being a strong believer in civil disobedience, I politely asked to leave the classroom, and sat in the office for the duration of that, and several other assignments. I mean, they teach us all these bible stories about martyrs who died standing up for what they believed in, and glorify them, and tell you to always stand up for you believe in....then they're surprised when you don't want to propagate there beliefs, which are already mainstream; and instead want to stand up for your own even if it means trouble on your part. I will say though, that I did take the various punishments they gave me for it obediently, like Susan B. Antony insisting that she was punished fairly, even though she was a woman, not a man.

That, and I've had ongoing rather serious family problems, my mother had a stroke the same year, and I had to foot alot of the emotional weight of the family etc. etc. Basically, my grades suffered, for the most part of my own accord, but to an extent not. :(

The other thing is, I'm of the type of mind, where if something doesn't intrigue, or interest me, I don't really do that well in it. I have to have interest to follow through with something. So many of the teachers there just couldn't get me interested. I eventually dropped out, though I am taking the CASHEE exam, and plan on taking some JC courses before I'm of recruitment age. My tech knowledge is already pretty good. I put together the rig I'm on right now, albeit with the help of the people on this site, and I'm learning more and more about how not only the components, but the operating system works as well, I even managed to make a hack of windows with a matrix theme, all manually, no templates or anything used. Just the dirty work, inside the windows file doing it all on my own. I lost it due to a power outage though, just as I was about to save it, which is extremely frustrating considering that I had been working on it for like five hours before this, and because of the nature of the program I was using and the stuff I was editing and changing, I couldn't save it while it was halfway done, as it would've f'ed up my OS if it wasn't finished when saved. :(

6. slickoe

slickoe

You already sound like the type of person who would be MISERABLE in the military, in any branch, except in a VERY elite, specialized USAF unit surrounded by highly intelligent peers with an elite mission. Don't worry about academics/grades. Did you get good SAT's or ACT's? That is a better indication than school grades. In bootcamp you take a battery of aptitude tests to determine what you are both most qualified for and best suited for. It is called the ASVAB. Go to your local library and get EVERY study guide there is for it until you know it by heart. At least 6 months before you go in GET IN SHAPE IN ADVANCE. It will make the difference between your bootcamp experience a major pain in the *** and a SADISTIC HELL! Run and run until you can do 3 miles in under at least 25 minutes or so on a regular basis. Do pushups at least 5 times a day until you can do 50 at a time. Do sit ups until you can do 80 EVERY TIME in two minutes. Get a curling bar and curl and do chinups until you can do AT LEAST 15 every time. And when you talk to a recruiter, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING! This is the most important. I knew Marines whose recruiters told them they would be embassy guards and instead ended up in the infantry for 4 years. You can get a signed contract when you enlist specifying what your MOS (military occupational specialty) will be. First, make an ANONYMOUS call to a recruiter (not in your area) saying you are a manic depressive on meds but are stable, and you want to enlist. First, find out all you can ANONYMOUSLY OVER THE PHONE. Find out whether you can enlist at all, maybe you can get in some fields but not others. When I enlisted I foolishly admitted to minor drug use (pot) and that excluded me from ALL technical mos's, despite my 1.5 yrs. college and almost perfect ASVAB scores. So I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you if you want to be honest and still get a technical MOS. How are you when you are off your meds? How badly do you want to enlist? They really don't do extensive checks, despite what they say (I was intimidated into revealing my pot use). Just enlist as a normal, healthy American and see if you can make it. Good Luck, and for god's sake take my advise from someone who's been there and is trying to help. Avoid the Army, Navy, and the Marines, especially in todays atmosphere and try to get in the USAF. They live the best, I know.

7. Rockn

Rockn

The Marines or the Army would not be the path oyu would want to take even if you were able to get in. Even the AF is particular about the mental stability of their members. If there were at any time a psychotic break you would be out on a medical discharge. Education and advancement in the AF is very difficult if you ever plan on advancing in rank because you test against everyone of the same rank within your given career field and only a top percentage are promoted. The technical fields like avionics and electronics are quite a bit more in depth than putting togeter a "rig" and people's lives depend on any equipment that is intended for use on an aircraft. You would not fit in I am afraid with your admitted track record of "civil disobedience" this is proof you may be able to think for yourself but you cannot follow orders. There are no such thing as a two year tour of duty either, unless you are of course discharged for some reason. Think hard because even if you do get in there is a war going on and you could find yourself in the desert 10,000 miles from home.

8. slickoe

slickoe

Yes. I was badly injured in Desert Storm and am fully disabled now. We were at peace when I enlisted, I finished all my training, was ecstatic being stationed in so. California as my final duty station, and 3 weeks later was in a 112 degree desert. Still I would do it all again. Know what you are getting into and remember that recruiters have quotas they must keep and they WILL lie if they need to.

9. Rockn

Rockn

Sorry to hear about your injuries slickoe and thanks for being there doing your job!!

10. lisaa7002

lisaa7002

Yes all you guys are out there every day saving our collective butts & we Love you for it!

Jim, You are better off going to college. I'm not sure how bad your bi-polar is or how well the meds help, but the stess of just training is really horrendous on the average person, I can't imagine what it would be like for someone with even (minor?) problems. My best friend in school was (is) bi-piloar, and I know the meds she took then helped generaly, but weren't much help in the crunch.

11. slickoe

slickoe

Yes the stress would be bad but once you get through bootcamp the rest is a cakewalk by comparison. Marine bootcamp was 12 weeks, I think Air Force boot camp is either 6 or 8 and I can't imagine air force instructors being as scary as Marine drill instructors.

12. Servant of Eru

Well, the last psychologist I went to said I he thought that I wasn't even Bi-Polar, but some sort of relationship disorder. He said he thought I was RAD. This would make sense because the only time I have problems that are similar to Bi Polar is when I'm at home with my family. :rolleyes: The air force is what I would have chosen originally, but I figured that I was probably less likely to be pushed into active combat if I was underwater on a submarine than in the Air Force on a base somewhere.

I'm quite aware what I'd be potentially getting into, but my other wild card I have up my sleeve, is I'm a pacifist, so if they did force me to be some type of infantry in active combat, I'd be serving as a medic or some other type of non combative person. I don't like real life guns, they're fine in video games, but I wouldn't like the idea of using them on a regular basis. I'm fine with learning how to use on in the Boot Camp, but after that, I don't really want to any more.

Rockn, do you actually think me naive enough to think that what I'd be doing would be as simple as putting a rig together? I was just saying that I have an interest in it, and that between now, and all the junk I'll be learning and doing in between then, I'll probably have more knowledge than the average would be recruit. :rolleyes:

They pretty much give the training to you if you make it right? ;)

13. slickoe

slickoe

If you aren't definitely bipolar you have a shot. When you enlist DO NOT admit to ANY psych disorders. They don't need to know what some quack who gets incentives to use the latest meds on you as a guinea pig for the pharmaceutical firms thinks. You are a pacifist? You DO know what kind of people you will be working AND living with should you enlist? Most if not all will NOT be pacifistic and you may want a friend or two in 4 years of service so keep your views to yourself. It is easier to get into some fields than others, I don't know about nowadays, but in some mos's there were lists of up to 3 months or more if you wanted a guaranteed slot in a certain MOS. You were a pacifist? I was deadhead, a pot smoking, acid dropping hippie when I enlisted, but I had no other options in my life at that point other than going homeless or moving into my parents basement, so I was able to suck it up, keep things inperspective, learn to laugh on the inside at the BS games you have to play, and I enjoyed my time in the Marines. In fact, if you want to really toughen up and get in GREAT physical shape, test yourself mentally, and ensure you don't get stationed in an out of the way nothing to do duty station like east armpit oklahoma, join the Marines (but ONLY if you get a technical MOS locked in, one like avionics or any other aviation related field.) I was with the air wing and the Marine air wing is a LOT more relaxed than something like infantry or artillery or the like. Do 4 yrs. as a jarhead and the pride you wwill get will help you overcome your demons, give you unbelievable pride, and is something you can put on your resume that will help you in many ways later on in life.

14. Rockn

Rockn

I didn't actually think you were nieve but I wanted to make you aware that you would be working on equipment on a daily basis that people depend on to save their lives. As far as being a pacifist goes, everything you do would be related to the war machine that is the military. Every piece of hardware and software is war related and used in the preperation and the making of war. Your joining would be tantamount to a monk joining the Marine corps, he really wouldn't fit in. You will have to qualify yearly or more often in weapons training dependant on your career field. There is also a physical requirement you have to maintain and although not as stringent as the other branches is a factor. If you are a fatbody you will be put on a weight program or discharged if you cannot somply with the standards. I am not trying to discourage you, I just hope you are not having a manic phase and not thinking clearly because there are tons of options outside of the military for you where failure isn't such a drastic or life altering thing.

15. slickoe

slickoe

You might want to consider a delayed enlistment program where you get a contract signed in advance, an entry date down a the road a piece, you get lots of time to clean up your affairs and get in shape, and you and a pack of other DEP people meet at your recruiting station once a week for basic drilling, PT, and such. It will give you a taste to decide if it is really for you and you have up until you actually take the real oath at bootcamp (despite what they say) to choose whether to stay in or not.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice