1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NBN Fixed Wireless vs Internet via SIM card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rhubarb15, Oct 11, 2019.

1. rhubarb15

rhubarb15 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Suz
    Hi, We are moving to a new address soon. I have contacted NBN & have been advised that 'fixed wireless' is the only option available for the Internet. We have a few issues:
    1) NBN have advised that our new address (newly built home) is not registered on the NBN & that we need to choose a provider & have them put in a 'missing address' request.
    1a) How can we choose a provider when they can't find our address to let us know what service and price they can offer
    1b) Not all Internet providers offer 'fixed wireless' and the NBN website only has a list of all NBN providers - & a search for fixed wireless provivers just gives a list of all NBN providers (# insert emoji of me headbanging)
    2) Does anyone have any provider suggestions - one of the bigger name providers also has a bigger charge for providing internet.

I have thought of using an ipad ( or android tablet) and purchasing a SIM card for the internet instead of using NBN, and using 'chrome cast' or similar & wifi hotspot.
    I currently have a samsung tab 4.10.1 running android 5.0.2. I find it slow and have cleared my cache etc.
    We have a new smart TV and have not had one previously.
    Our current internet usage is approx 65GB per month , I anticipate that this could increase. Internet is used for computer - email, general browsing, you tube, netflix & catch up TV (currently being used on a laptop) We would look at streaming netflix and KO sports on our TV.
    My questions are:
    1) Does anyone have any better suggestions with how to use internet with the TV ?
    2) How would I set this up?
    3) Could I use my current tablet and possibly speed it up by purchasing a faster/ larger SD card?

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With a web search for "South Australia Fixed Wireless" about all I found was Fixed Wireless Internet In Adelaide. If Adelaide is anywhere near you I suggest calling them to see if they can help you. Even if they do not serve your area they may know somebody who does.

Have you tried asking your real estate agent or contractor or new neighbors about internet service?

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    To answer 1a) - when you call a provider for the area, they will would start getting the data for your address. Depending on how far you are from an connection, they may not run a line to your area because it would be too expensive too build out... having said that, if it's a developing area (more homes being built), they may run a line out.

2) Top 10 Internet Providers Australia:
    Telstra, Optus, TPG, iiNet, Dodo, Vodafone, Belong, Aussie Broadband, Exetel, SpinTel

Since I don't live in the land down under, and I don't know where you are, I cannot comment on which one to use. The first 3 should be in your area.

-------
    1) I would use Ethernet (if available on the TV), providing the modem/router is in the same room. I have connected via wireless before and don't seem to have any issues with that.

2) Your TV will have guides, and mostly will set everything up for you (Except the wireless information if you cannot go with Ethernet, you will need to add that)

3) depending on the age of the tablet, it just may be wearing down, but buying an SD card may help a little by offloading your apps to the SD card as well as your pictures/videos.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice