1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ncftp connection problem

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by PeterElderson, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterElderson

PeterElderson Thread Starter

Hi, thnx for helping me with the following problem: ncftpput cant't upload my data file.

I want to automate ftp exchange with a passive mode ftp-server from a Windows server. The Windows ftp-client does not support passive mode so I installed ncftp 3.2.5 for windows.
    Connecting with ncftp and transferring the file interactively is no problem:

>ncftp -u <user> -p <password> 145.21.158.148
    NcFTP 3.2.5 (Jan 17, 2011) by Mike Gleason (http://www.NcFTP.com/contact/).
    Resolving 145.21.158.148...
    Connecting to 145.21.158.148...
    Welcome to the DWRS07 FTP service.
    Logging in...
    Login successful.
    Logging in...
    Logged in to 145.21.158.148.
    ncftp / > cd aanlever
    Directory successfully changed.
    ncftp /aanlever > mput c:\exports\ldif.data.ark
    c:\exports\ldif.data.ark: 443.77 kB 1.39 MB/s
    ncftp /aanlever >

Note: using put instea of mput results in the remote host cloding the connection.

Getting remote files back from the server using ncftp from a batch file is no problem:

C:\Exports\Rijksweb>echo on
    C:\Exports\Rijksweb>ncftpget -R -u <user> -p <password> 145.21.158.148 c:\exp
    orts\rijksweb /statistieken /trace-files /verwerkt /aanlever
    ...s\rijksweb\statistieken\stat.ark.201109012015.htm: 2.77 kB 17.73 kB/s
    Could not traverse directory: could not parse extended file or directory informa
    tion.
    Could not traverse directory: could not parse extended file or directory informa
    tion.
    c:\exports\rijksweb\aanlever\ldif.data.ark: 443.77 kB 2.31 MB/s
    C:\Exports\Rijksweb>pause
    Press any key to continue . . .

The 2 errors simply mean that 2 of the the directories do not contain any files.

Now uploading a file using ncftpput:

C:\Exports\Rijksweb>echo on
    C:\Exports\Rijksweb>ncftpput -u <user> -p <password> 145.21.158.148 /aanlever
    c:\exports\ldif.data.ark
    Could not read reply from control connection -- timed out.
    ncftpput c:\exports\ldif.data.ark: timed out while waiting for server response.

It's problably something simple, but I not experienced with ftp so I would appreciate any help with this problem.

2. PeterElderson

PeterElderson Thread Starter

Hi folks, problem is solved. The firewall logging showed that an internal IP-address (for the backup network) was sent. The network configuration on that machine has been adapted, and now it works like a charm.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice