1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nd 2500a dvd burner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NOXangel1124, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NOXangel1124

NOXangel1124 Thread Starter

I recently bought a nec nd-2500a dvd burner. Now I installed it in one pc and it worked fine and burnt many dvd's. now i am trying to install it into a different pc and its not working. any type of cd or dvd i put in there it doesnt recognize. but it see's the drive there. any suggestions?? thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would guess it is not jumpered properly. On the back of the drive set the jumper to Master, if there is another drive on the same IDE cable then jumper that drive as Slave.

3. NOXangel1124

i have the dvd burner on as master.. and a second cd burner is set to cable select. i thought that was ok.. should i change it to slave?

4. NOXangel1124

ok so i switched it anyway and it seems to be doing the same thing. when there is nothing in the drive and i open up my computer it says dvd-r drive. then when i put a dvd in it changes to cd drive. when i try to open it it says d drive is inaccessible. ???? i dont know whats wrong :(

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, set it to Slave - not that that is teh problem for sure but its the place to start. Both drives must be set to Cable Select for proper operation, although it works sometimes if only one is set to CS. Personally I wish CS never existed, it adds more trouble then it resolves.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try it by itself on the IDE Cable.

7. NOXangel1124

it works with the other one disconnected... i guess i will leave it that way for now.. is there anything i could do?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Change the jumpers. Try them both as CS or the DVD as Slave and the other as Master.

Or put the other drive as a Slave on the Primary IDE with the hard drive and leave the DVD burner as Master on the secondary IDE.

9. NOXangel1124

ok it worked for a minute.. now its back to the same error. still have the other one disconnected ....??????

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Check for bent/broken pins on the IDE connection of the drive.

11. NOXangel1124

nope everything is fine..

12. NOXangel1124

any other ideas? i tried flashing to firmware again from 1.07 to 1.07, no luck. i uninstalled and reinstalled it. no luck... please help

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you try the drive in the old computer or another computer?

14. k67456

k67456

In order to solve the problem for good, if you have usb 2 or firewire, may i suggest you get an external 5.25" box and put the DVD writer in. I have done the same thing with my NEC ND2500A and i never had any problems, apart from a few burned DVDs when used under Win98SE. And you can use it on more than one PC, without the trouble of taking it out and back in again.

15. NOXangel1124

do you know what is really weird. I found a way around it for the time being but I dont know why it works this way. I open powerdvd (even if it is not a dvd in the drive) then that recognizes the cd/dvd and I can open it to view the contents of the cd. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? weird....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!