1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NDIS User mode I/O Driver has received a Broadcast packet...?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joeAgain------, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeAgain------

joeAgain------ Thread Starter

.......from the remote machine [169.254.107....etc"].
    Do you want to allow this program to access the internet?

What is this message that keeps popping up on my firewall?

Saying NO each time doesn't have any adverse affects.

What the heck is that?

2. Del

Del

Are you on a network?
    What Operating System are you using?
    What firewall do you have?

3. joeAgain------

I guess I am on a network, although I haven't done anything to set it up yet. I have a new XP computer using the same internet connection as my older(2nd)computer, by way of a switch(all behind a router).

The computer giving me those messages runs XP Pro(the other runs Win98SE) and the firewall is Sygate's free personal firewall.

I can understand if the XP computer is asking me if I want to be able to communcate and file share with my other one(is that what that means?), but why is it talking about "this program" accessing the internet? (I'm always able to access the internet from both when I answer No)

4. Del

Del

This is a system file that makes calls to dynamic link libraries amongst the TCP/IP stack. It uses communication ports and the loopback address in order to make these calls. This is why you see the communication on your firewall. It's not trying to connect to the Internet, just another port on your computer for the purpose of calling instructions.

5. joeAgain------

What "instructions" is it looking for? Is it related to file sharing(which I'd like to start doing soon)?

It mainly happens everytime I restart my computer.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It appears that the XP machine is find an IP address if I had to guess. The 169.xxx address is the default assigned to 2K/XP systems when they don't find a DHCP server. Without seeing it up close and personal, I can't be sure, but I suspect it's something along those lines.

7. Del

Del

Just click to remember and block it.

8. joeAgain------

could you give me an idea of why my computer is looking for a DHCP server? (or why it can't find one?)

please?
    (do I want to continue to block it?....Is it trying to do something that my system needs?)

9. Del

Del

It's not trying to connect to the Internet, just another port on the same computer for the purpose of calling instructions. Blocking it or allowing it will not hurt anything.

10. joeAgain------

OK, but would you mind helping me understand, please? If it's doing that, it must be a useful internal function?

what instructions might it be looking for? (is there any way for me to tell?)

11. Del

Del

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice