1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NEC Superscript 870 grinding noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steve108, Apr 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steve108

steve108 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Our NEC Superscript 870 printer works ok for one or two pages at a time: anymore than that and it begins to make a grinding noise and then a paper jam. The grinding noise seems to be coming from the right hand side, perhaps from the gears under the brass clips that are under the toner cartridge. The teeth that are visible seem normal. Suggestions?
    Steve

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Gears are probably going to need replaced. Last time I had that done I think I paid more for the repair call than I could have bought a new printer for.......

3. steve108

steve108 Thread Starter

Thanks, AcaCandy,
    Have you any recommendations for printers in the $200 range, refurbished, that seem to hold up well without needing gear replacement?
    Steve

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

No, sorry, I don't, but I'm sure someone else will......I've resigned myself to knowing that any of the newer ones tend to be throw away items after a couple of years, and no one will even work on them anymore. Now here in Mexico, I got an old HP Deskjet (the ones that weighed a ton, remember those ;) ) fixed about 3 years ago for about $30 U.S. and the guy even came to my house........

5. steve108

steve108 Thread Starter

Thanks, AcaCandy,
    Perhaps one of the older stalwarts will work.
    Steve

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!