1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ned help...

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by Nighthamar, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nighthamar

Nighthamar Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a Dell Latitude D800, 60gig HDD, Pentium M with Windows XP...

I cannot remember how to reformat the hard drive on the thing. The reasons I want to re-format the HDD is the processor is only running at 221 / 600 mHz, and teh re-charge for the battery system is not working. I have teh Dell set-up disc (system drivers and such) as well as a reload disc for Windows XP.

Ant information would be greatly appreciated.

2. bbearren

bbearren

The battery charging is a hardware issue-it isn't controlled by XP. The battery condition is read by the BIOS and relayed to the ACPI to be reported through XP, but the charging system is totally hardware. Have you updated your BIOS? Read your BIOS version when the system is booting, then go to the Dell support site and enter your Service Tag number to see if you are up to date.

Also, the Pentium M speed-step is hardware/BIOS controlled. A D800 with a 1.6 GHz Pentium M should operate at 1600 MHz when on AC power, and 600 MHz when on battery power.

I personally never recommend a reformat/reinstall. I would advise instead that you use your OS CD to do a repair/reinstall. The true need for a reformat is extremely rare, despite what you read and hear.

3. Nighthamar

Okay, I went ahead and reformatted my HDD, now my wireless connection will not work. Is there a step that I missed. According to the machine, the wireless card is not connected. How can I check it???

4. Nighthamar

okay, update. My wireless connection will not connect to my home wireless router. I have tried updating teh driver, repairing it, and disable/enable several times. It still says teh device is not connected.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd suggest starting a thread in an appropriate forum.

By no stretch of the imagination is the forum description for this forum appropriate.

Tech-Related News
    Quotes, links, and discussion of interesting tech stories.

I'll close this one, please post in an appropriate forum. For the last issue, I'd suggest the Networking forum.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice