1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a driver for Firewire card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abi_b, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abi_b

abi_b Thread Starter

Hello,

I recently got a firewire/ieee 1394 card for my PC (to connect a camcorder) and I installed the card without any issues but it didn't come with any driver software. I'm running XP but it was pre-installed so I don't have any of the discs to find a driver on there. I've searched for literally hours online looking for a driver - I've never had a problem finding one before but I can't find anything.

Can anyone help me locate a driver - free or otherwise?

Alternatively does anyone know of a firewire to usb convertor? A quick google search makes this look unlikely but maybe someone here knows better?

Any help is gratefully received - I've been trying to do this as a favour for a friend but it's been going on for weeks and is all going horribly wrong!

Thank you

Edit: As soon as I posted this I realised it should probably be in software, not hardware. Sorry, Mods feel free to move!

2. mkn4372

mkn4372

look for ur model at driverguide.com

3. abi_b

abi_b Thread Starter

I've rummaged through there and tried two different ones - one was .sys files that I didn't know what to do with and the other was corrupt and I wasn't sure either of them were right anyway.

Any other ideas? Or can anyone advise where I could buy another firewire card that comes with a driver? (The one I got came from Jessops.)

Thanks

4. replay

replay

i don't think u need a driver with xp........ it should automatically install with a generic xp driver

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No drivers required for USB/Firewire cards for 2K/XP.

6. abi_b

abi_b Thread Starter

Well my computer tells me it's missing the software for it, it can't find the driver either manually or using the wizard, my computer isn't showing any additional drives or anything and I don't have the XP discs as it was pre-installed.

Looks like I'm stuffed then!

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

First of all you would need the chipset to find a driver and I would bet the card is a Via chipset and stuffed as you think. They never run right. I only ever recommend Adaptec cards which use a TI chipset as several have stated driver is in XP and there should be no need of software..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/561453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice