1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a formula to convert a date to text

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Mulderator, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

Ok, I need a formula in Excel that converts a date field (i.e., 7/29/04) to the name of the day that represents (i.e., Thursday). I don't care what form the day is, it can be text or date displayed with just the day.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Actually you don't need a formula.

Just format the cell as Custom, with a format of dddd.

That will display only the full day (Thursday), without "destroying" the underlying date data.
    ddd format displays the shortened version (Thu).

3. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

I agree w/ kiwiguy.

But if it's truly a formula you want.. =TEXT(A1,"dddd") .. although the format will do the same thing, AND you'll be able to use it as a 'true' numerical in other calculations.

4. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

Thanks guys--I actually figured it out shortly after posting the question and not getting a quick enough reply (hey, I'm impatient). I used the Text formula. I tried the formatting but I didn't know the correct formats to put in and got frustrated with it--the help in Excel it really crappy. You'd think they'd give you a chart that gives you every possible formatting and what it displays in plain English.

But I see that using dddd gives you the day and ddd, the abeviated day.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/255846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice