Need a free & reliable Antivirus for Red Hat 9

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AbvAvgUser

Just installed Red Hat 9 some days back. It has everything one needs, except an AntiVirus software.

Can any one please tell me about a free and reliable AntiVirus software for RH9? Or is there something inbuilt which will enable me to make my system totally secure?

Please don't assume any knowledge of Linux when replying. I am total newbie. So if something involved complex steps, please give them in detail.

Thanks.

It's actually a very rare occasion when someone goes to the trouble to create a virus aimed at Linux.The ones that are rampant in the Windows world dont work on Linux.I've never gotten a virus and have never felt the need for any kind of AV utility.
The closest I come to using somthing like that is running chkrootkit every once in a while.It searches locally for rootkits,worms and trojans and also odd permissions on system files.
HTH
lynch

AbvAvgUser

Just because there is no known virus on Linux doesn't mean there isn't any. What if a department of the big daddy Micro$oft creates one for Linux?

AbvAvgUser

Thanks. That will be very useful. But what is the general opinion of people. Does a Linux machine really need a Anti-Virus? If not, why not? Is it just because there are no known viruses for Linux?

A cracker develops a virus with the though of it spreading to the largest,most vulnerable groups of computers possible,ie,windows.
Linux isnt used as widely as windows plus it's a lot harder to get to.There are Linux viri out there but they must be aimed like a rifle:windows viri are like a shotgun blast.;)
Here's an interesting article about this topic.Also do a "linux virus"search on google that will turn up tons of stuff.
lynch

AbvAvgUser

Thanks Lynch. I have just saved the articles and will read it after I disconnect. (BTW, I use a dial up so I have to be worried about costs as well :()

Roo

I agree with lynch......now lynch where did you get that avatar from? I have something just like that animated felix gif that I got off nonetester a good few years ago hehe :p

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online