1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a good and free antivirus/firewall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gilafro, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gilafro

gilafro Thread Starter

I've used to use Kaspersky Internet Suite 6 before, and I just found it totally amazing, the best all-in-one security program I need, unfortunately I cant pay for it anymore.. so I'm looking around for something new.

I've tried Zonealarm + Avast! but they just didn't work well at all. Right now I'm using comodo as my firewall and NOD32 as antivirus.

With comodo, I feel that sometimes its not giving me the proper protection, I donno it's just a feeling that the default network monitor settings don't secure me. I had to manually turn off ports 135, 445, 139, 69, 4444 because of a crash I would have pretty often and after hours of research on the net.

The problem I have with NOD32 isn't security, its more of resources. Everyone says that NOD32 uses the least amount of resources, but right now EKRN is at 27,704k mem usage. That in itself isn't so bad, but the problem is when I browse online, or download torrents, the CPU usage just shoots up. I trolled the forums a bit and disabled web access protection and http filter but it still takes up alot of CPU when firefox is open and browsing.

Any suggestions?

Comodo version - 2.4.18.184
    NOD32 version - 3.0.414.0

2.6Ghz CPU with 1gig +ram and windows xp

2. RSM123

RSM123

3. gilafro

gilafro Thread Starter

I've heard alot of horror stories about AVG, and personally every computer i've seen it on runs really slowly

4. bkdc

bkdc

AVAST is an excellent free Virus
    program.

I have also used AVG for years & have NEVER had any problems, I changed to Avast because in my opion :D it is more functional.

5. golferbob

golferbob

i run avg 7.5 free with comodo firewall free and they don't slow your computer down.

6. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Ok Gilafro, how about some documented evidence that AVG is a horror story, and that it slows down your computer, I would be interested in seeing that.

Regards
    IMP49

7. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

You may been talking about AVG and kaparsky install, thats how it slows doan a computer.

8. longuriel

longuriel

Ive run AVG on muiltiple computers over the years, have a network admin, a programer, and a server owner/operator for a web hosting company that all highly recomend AVG. One of which is a fairly advanced Hacker who says its one of the best, combine that with a router and a decent firewall and your about as protected as your going to get w/o taking your computer off the net.

9. gilafro

gilafro Thread Starter

so the free avg is good enough?

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Yes .. IMO
    But I have my "system" backed up with Acronis True Image in an external HD ... Just in case.
    I consider this the ultimate protection.

It even solves the problem where Bill Gates gets confused for no good reason.

11. longuriel

longuriel

I could also recomend pcsecurityshield. Thats what my fiance runs, think its about $45 for 2yrs worth of service. Dosnt tend to slow down her system to much.

12. randy_california

randy_california

It sure is.
    Like the Distinguished Member RSM123, I also use Sygate Firewall and AVG Free A Virus.
    Always worked great for me.

13. vicks

vicks

I use the following;
    avg anti virus
    zone alarm firewall
    ad-aware spyware remover
    spybot search and destroy spyware remover and tea timer.
    Have used all on 3 of my own computers with no problems and have installed it on several friends/family computers and they too are happy with them and the price is right.
    vicks

14. j-mcallister

j-mcallister

avira !
    beats them all

15. Goku

Goku

Yes. J-Mcallister said it. It's Avira. Avira is equally good as AVG Free but is far more light on resources. You can download it from here. Also, here are some sources which say the same thing.

Avira vs Avast!
    AV-Comparatives

So, in my opinion, Avira AntiVir is the best AntiVirus, both in terms of resources and security.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/630184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice