1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a good anti-virus & anti-spyware, etc program that's free.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by psaros, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psaros

psaros Thread Starter

I have Windows Defender right now, I don't know if it's good or not though. I did a Panda activescan online and it came with 40 different spyware infected files and one virus I think, but when I ran a full scan on Windows defender it found nothing. Basically I want to get rid of defender and find a good anti-virus and anti-spyware program that's free. It can be an online scan but preferrably works from the computer.

Any takers?

2. randy_california

randy_california

3. psaros

psaros Thread Starter

Those two won't come into conflict, will they?

someone once told me when you have two or more anti-virus or anti-spyware programs working on the same computer they mess it up

4. devil_himself

devil_himself

AVG "Anti-Virus" Free Edition
    AVG "Anti-Spyware" Free Edition

Do You have Anything Else installed Besides it

More than one Antivirus Will definitely Conflict With Each other

5. psaros

psaros Thread Starter

I have norton internet security but it's outdated and I really want to get rid of it.

6. randy_california

randy_california

You'll definitely have to get rid of norton internet security first before installing the others.
    You can download both the AVG programs first so you are ready to install them after the norton internet security uninstall.
    You may have to use the Norton Removal Tool to completely rid your system of norton.

7. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Don't confuse ant-virus and anti-spyware. Two anti-virus programs is a "no, no." Usually more than one anti-spyware program running simultaneously will not cause trouble and is actually recommended. Each looks for somewhat different problems/and or by different methods. I am running SpySweeper, SpywareBlaster and Spybot Search and Destroy simultaneously without troubles.

I agree with the rec of the two free AVG programs. For a firewall Ws own is OK but limited. I would rec Zone Alarm, which checks both incoming and outgoing traffic.

{redoak}

8. golferbob

golferbob

9. redoak

10. redoak

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/611432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice