1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a hand testing IE behavior, Please

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Mosaic1, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

Anyone running either Internet Explorer 5x or 6, could you please try something and post your results?
    When I go to File>SaveAs and save, it defaults to My Documents. I can save elsewhere and through the rest of the session that location will be remembered. When I close all Instances of IE and try another File>saveAs The Dialog Starts in My Documents again. The SaveAs location from last time is not there.

I would appreciate it if you could give this a try and post your results, too.

Thanks in advance,
    Mo

2. StepsInSC

StepsInSC

Hi, I saved a page last night I was viewing and the default is the folder I saved it to last night. It is NOT resetting to My Documents.

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Mosaic
    Ran several different test. Closed IE Re-opened. Held save as folder. Changed folder, Closed IE re-opened still held. Rstarted system and re-opened and it still held.
    IE 5.5 SP2
    Dave

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I went inot the registry and found in:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

That there is a String Value named
    Save Driectory

The last location used to Save is recorded there.

I could have sworn that it always reverted to My documents.

I must have been mistaken.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

Thanks again for the help. I don't know when that behavior changed, with which version of IE. I do know people have asked that before. I must have missed it. Here's something I just cooked up. Try it. I know My Pictures is stubborn. LOL

To change the My Pictures default location: Go to the registry and Modify the Personal String Value to a new folder you will create. For instance
    C:\Whatever
    (The new Folder you will create will have the My Documents Icon. This has no effect on the My Documents Folder. That will still be where you left it.)

In these two Keys:
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Step two. Create a New Folder in "Whatever" and name it My Pictures. (It has to be named My Pictures.)

Step three:
    Go to the registry again
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

In the right pane modify the My Pictures String value to reflect the path to the new My Pictures. In this example:

C:\Whatever\My Pictures

I have been testing this. Even if you have a My Documents\My Pictures folder, this will work. So now you can set a new default My picures in any Folder you like. But you have to go into the registry to make the change and you have to use the My Pictures name.

I used the root directory. You can create your new folder with the new My Pictures Folder anywhere you like. In another Partition or wherever.

For those good at creating registry files, they can create several Registry files to change the location at will. After you make the change, be sure to open a new IE for it to take effect.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice