1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a Laptop GPU Suggestion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tacoman359, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tacoman359

tacoman359 Thread Starter

I'm looking for some suggestions on a graphics card for the laptop I am going to be buying for college. Im getting a laptop with an i7, and I'd like to get a graphics card that will allow me to play newer games like Dirt 3 with good fps. I'd like a card comparable to or better than an 8800GT, which I've had in my desktop for a few years now. I don't need anything extremely nice... after all, the main game that I play is counter strike source, and that isn't very graphics intense.

Any suggestions? I know basically nothing about laptop GPUs so I need some help.

Thank you.

2. Bradthecru

Bradthecru

What laptop are you getting? First you would need to make sure that you can even change the graphics card. Most laptops are integrated graphics that can't be changed.

3. tacoman359

haha why would i buy a laptop and immediately replace the gpu after getting it? :p i wanted to know what gpu i should buy with my laptop. and i definitely want a dedicated card, i'm fairly sure no integrated card has as much power as i want.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You want to be looking at the Alienware Laptops then. When you talk about laptops, you can custom order a base model so that it has what you want.

5. tacoman359

hmm maybe i misworded the question... i really just want to know what kind of graphics card my computer should have. i'm going to stay away from alienware, i find them a bit overpriced compared to other brands that aren't as top of the line

thank you though

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You can still custom order base models from other manufacturers though you wouuld have to check thier sites to see what is available. I would recommend a Dell over HP/Compaq or Acer any day.

7. Bradthecru

Bradthecru

Ok, that makes more sense :). It sounded like you already had a laptop picked out and wanted to know about adding to it. That being said, I personally have an ASUS G73JH laptop which runs everything I have thrown at it. It has an ATi 5870 moble graphics card in it.

8. tacoman359

brad, is there any chance you can post what kind of fps you're getting with certain games on certain settings? i'd appreciate it!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1003092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice