1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a little help with active directory

Discussion in 'Networking' started by teetdogs, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teetdogs

teetdogs Thread Starter

Hey guys and gals,

A few quick questions with active directory, I have just installed active directory on a windows 2000 server everything seems to be working ok except every once in awhile i'm not able to add new machines to the domain it says that the network name is not found however it prompts me for an admin logon to put it on the domain seems odd anyone have any ideas on this one?

Secondly, I have 2 network printers with their own IP's and whatnot however i am having trouble adding them to active directory i found one way of doing it and that is adding them as local printers to the server and then sharing them on the network and this worked fine for a day or so, which leeds me into my third and final ( so far ) problem for some reason i am not able to browse the network when i try to it tells me that the server does not allow transactions, however it worked one day then the next day when i came to work this little problem crept up. Please help i cant seem to find the answers anywhere. Thanks in advance

2. teetdogs

teetdogs Thread Starter

Anyone please throw me a bone

3. teetdogs

teetdogs Thread Starter

Cant anyone help me with this?

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Have you checked the DNS on the Windows 2000 server? AD is VERY DNS reliant and if your having DNS issues this could be the cause of many other problems as well.

5. teetdogs

teetdogs Thread Starter

i think that DNS is the problem but i found an interesting error in my event log saying that i was out of client liceneces I'm not sure how to fix this but hopefully MS will get me some more. With DNS and active directory is there a way to see if things are working correctly some kind of test that i can do?

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Usually I'll do pings but with machine names. If you do a ping to an ip it works fine but if you ping to machine name and it fails you know something is funky in your DNS and it can be client side or server side. Usually I look client first as thats simple to address server side can start getting stick with the forward lookup zones and reverse lookup zones and all the config's that can be done.

7. teetdogs

teetdogs Thread Starter

all pings work great and as far as i can tell my forward lookup zone is good too

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

When you ping the machine name does it come back with the FQDN or is it just comeing back with your machine name and IP? If its not FQDN you can still be having a DNS problem.

9. teetdogs

teetdogs Thread Starter

so i dont see the fqdn when i ping my server it just comes back with the ip any suggestions on how i might fix this?

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Make sure your looking at the right thing -

Sample -

Pinging PC.domain.com [192.168.1.20] with 32 bytes of data: <---- this line is the one that should have it you will note it shows PC.domain.com(FQDN)

Reply from 192.168.1.20: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.20:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

It will usually ping back to an IP in the 4 reply line (provided you have network connections) if the first line just has -

Pinging PC[192.168.1.20] with 32 bytes of data: <---notice the domain.com is gone

Then you are not gettng the FQDN and something is wrong with your internal DNS.

11. teetdogs

teetdogs Thread Starter

i deffinantly dont have the FQDN after my server name when i ping it so i have a feeling that that is what is causing my problems i think this weekend i will redo my dns server and see if i can get it to work a little better. do you by chance know why i would be able to add most of the machines on my network to the domain and now i'm not able to i haven't changed anything but something has changed. BTW thanks for all the help, I really feel like a newb cause of this even though im not, boy DNS is a tricky thing to nail down.

12. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

DNS can be very tirckey and thats just the thing. It could be prior to these issues you were getting some kind of DNS from the server before it started to have DNS issues? Maybe DNS was setup as partially working and then some ISP change came in and your now getting external DNS info? Really it can be a bear. The main thing I would do is 1 ensure that all of your AD machines are pointed to the internal DNS first and then point that DNS server outside to the ISP's DNS.

Usually what I do is I uninstall DNS wait at least 8 hours Reinstall DNS and again wait that timeframe (remember DNS can sometimes take a LONG time to get the correct records into place).

What you may want to do if your doing this while people need internet access is manually change their DNS to have the outside ISP's DNS. this way whan you have DNS "broken" the inside machines can still get out.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice