1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a little help with new router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jagermeister, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jagermeister

jagermeister Thread Starter

I've recently set up a new Asus RT-AC68R router by bridging my Actiontec M1000 modem/router.

When I was using just the M1000 modem/router, I could log into the M1000 by typing it's ip address (192.168.0.1) into a browser window. I then had full access to the modem's gui and could see what my internet speed reaching the modem was. I'd like to be able to see this data again for troubleshooting purposes (to make sure I'm at least getting my subscribed speed to the modem) but I cannot find a way to see this in the new router's gui.

Furthermore, after setting up the Asus, when typing 192.168.0.1 into a browser window I receive a 'This website is not available' error.

It would seem there should be a place in the new router's gui where I could see this information and I just haven't found it? Or some way to access the M1000's gui again?

I'm a beginner at all this so I may be missing something simple. Also, as being a beginner, I basically turned off the M1000's wireless capabilities, selected 'transparent bridge' mode, and let the Asus set itself up, so the Asus is basically running in it's default modes. It's ip address is 192.168.1.1.

Thanks for any help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A couple lines later you give the reason: "so the Asus is basically running in it's default modes. It's ip address is 192.168.1.1."

To access the router part again reset it to factory defaults. You may be able to access the modem part with 192.168.100.1.

3. jagermeister

jagermeister Thread Starter

The Asus's ip address is 192.168.1.1. When I type that address into the browser I get the Asus gui. I was under the impression that I should also be able to enter 192.168.0.1 (the Actiontec's ip address) to get to the Actiontec's gui to read the incoming internet speed and/or change parameters with the modem. This isn't the case though.

Using 192.168.100.1 didn't work. I suppose I could factory reset the modem but I don't want to have to do this every time I want to see if I'm getting my internet speed. But I guess it may be the only option.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Many modem/routers combos when put into bridge mode no longer have an accessible user interface.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice