Need a new system- but what?

Tech-lost-farm-mom

Hi everyone,

We need to replace the ancient desktop pc system that we've been using in our kitchen. I bought it about a decade ago. Its an hp pavilion series,
windows 7. Cant upgrade to 10. Its just time to get something else.

I've been looking at Mini pc's, because it seems silly to spend a whole lot on a high powered desktop. We have a couple chromebooks and use those for most business needs. I'm just a little lost on what I need. There are so many options, and I honestly have no idea what is most compatible with our needs.

So we use it mainly to stream media (netflix, hulu, youtube), some web searches (recipes, etc). I have a kid that would likely like to do some kind of gaming on it (I have no idea how that works, she's 11 and only just getting into it herself, so something that can grow with her experience) I'm not sure what pc I need, or if a pc is what i do indeed need, given these limited uses. Whatever we get also needs an sd card and disk reader and all the other hookups our Chromebooks don't have. And we would like a large monitor that we can hang on the wall.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Oddba11

Jim
Gaming typically calls for a high end system. But at her age, and depending on what it is she is actually wanting to play, likely won't actually require a gaming caliber system.

Otherwise, you aren't doing anything on the system that requires anything special or specific. Simply get whatever has all of the options/features (ie: card reader, disk reader, etc.) that you want/need and fits your budget. I would look towards mid-range systems (as opposed to budget systems) and look for 8+GB of Ram and larger hard drives (especially as game installations can eat up drive space).

Tech-lost-farm-mom

Gaming typically calls for a high end system. But at her age, and depending on what it is she is actually wanting to play, likely won't actually require a gaming caliber system.

Otherwise, you aren't doing anything on the system that requires anything special or specific. Simply get whatever has all of the options/features (ie: card reader, disk reader, etc.) that you want/need and fits your budget. I would look towards mid-range systems (as opposed to budget systems) and look for 8+GB of Ram and larger hard drives (especially as game installations can eat up drive space).
Thank you. That's a helpful starting point!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online