1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a place to start...

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by fnolteiii, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fnolteiii

fnolteiii Thread Starter

I've run every version of Microsoft since DOS and really would like to learn Linux, where is a good place to start to read up and get a Linux box up & running? I'm very knowledgeable with Microsoft but have heard so many things about Linux that I just can't put it off any more... so point me in the right direction so I can jump on the bandwagon. I'd like to have 2 installs actually, a dual boot on my laptop currently running Vista 32 bit Business edition & Linux then a separate Linux desktop machine that will only run Linux, where to begin? Thanks for your help and no offense to Mr. Gates but he's received enough of my $ and I will NOT buy any more Microsoft OS's just for them to change it every couple of years.... Links are good if you have the time to post them...

Regards,

fnolteiii

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How about a List of Linux distributions?

Not a helpful suggestion? Didn't think so. :) Suggest starting with Ubuntu or one of the others in its "family" (scroll down that page to "Ubuntu based."), which should include Linux Mint. I'm suggesting Ubuntu because it has pretty good documentation for getting started.

Check any of those with a Live CD before deciding to install, especially on the dual boot machine. The default GUI in Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 does not play nice with my Dell laptop, and probably with many other older display cards. I've used Ubuntu on it for over three years, but may switch to Linux Mint.

3. owners4life5

owners4life5

as above, i would suggest ubuntu also! :) it was the one i started with, and has the most users. it is also the most user-friendly, and you can learn all of the basics. they do a new version every six months, and some of them are long-term support. it has the widest array of users (compared to other linux distros), and is pretty neat & fun to learn!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'd suggest Ubuntu, too, since it is so popular and has great support forums. You can even install it to a virtual drive in Windows if you don't want to repartition your drive. Using WUBI, you can install it and uninstall it from Windows, but have it as a boot option and run just as if it were installed to its own partition. It's just easier to remove it if you change your mind.

5. fnolteiii

fnolteiii Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, will give it a whirl as soon as I figure out my sons SLI video cards that he wants to run for gaming purposes. These new games require more and more CPU & GPU Ram every other day. Guess he also should run a 64 bit OS which would give him more processor speed, but he's a die hard XP person, simply because he's lazy and doesn't want to take the time to learn the ins and outs of a new OS. But his XP days are numbered as Microsoft is going to discontinue support in 2012 if I'm not mistaken. Thanks again and I hope to be up and running soon!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

64-bit would not necessarily be any faster. The games are probably 32-bit, anyway. But even if they were 64-bit, there is no reason why a 64-bit machine would be any faster.

You may find it hard to use SLI in a Linux-based OS unless you can find specific drivers for your cards, if you were thinking about that. Most XP support is already gone. He's going to start finding that new games are not even compatible with XP.

7. owners4life5

owners4life5

just as a heads up - linux isn't exactly known for it's graphics-card-support-system.. ubuntu usually has a few faults here and there with driver support.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That goes for any Linux-based OS. But if he just wants basic graphics to try Ubuntu, it should work out OK. There are many non-free graphics drivers available, too ("non-free" meaning proprietary or not open-source but still not costing any money). Those drivers can be found in some of the repositories in Synaptic Package Manager.

9. owners4life5

owners4life5

yep because with ubuntu it'll usually find the drivers when you
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    for the first time. a lot of the time it'll have one "non-free" and one open-source to choose from, i usually go with the proprietary because it seems to work more often. just my opinion, though. :)

10. fnolteiii

fnolteiii Thread Starter

then he'll have to man up and learn a new OS, just as his father did, starting with DOS and continuing thru Windows 7 and soon enough, Windows 8. Personally, Windows 200 was my all time favorite, but that's just me...

11. owners4life5

owners4life5

i like xp :)

12. lewmur

lewmur

I would suggest that you download VirtualBox on the XP machine and use it to test several Linux distros. My favourite for newcomers to Linux is Mint. By using VirtualBox you eliminate any driver problems and/or dualboot problems.

13. fnolteiii

fnolteiii Thread Starter

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads is where I went to download version VirtualBox 4.1.6 for Windows hosts, hopefully this is the correct version to start with? I installed WUBI and ran it once then got cold feet and uninstalled it because I didn't backup my system before installing WUBI. I know better than that and got lucky. I looked at it for maybe 2 minutes before I was called away but I really like the way it looked. I have another brand new XP Pro install that has nothing really important on it so I was going to re-install WUBI on that machine and play around. Now should I install virtual box first or WUBI? I would like to take a look at Mint as you said it's pretty bullet proof. what would you recommend? I also do a tremendous amount of video encoding, are there any programs that run in either MINT or WUBI or any other linux based programs?

14. lewmur

lewmur

Wubi and Vbox are two entirely different things. Wubi merely uses your Xp partition for its filesystem. It still creates a Grub bootloader and can have hardware compatibility issues. And you can only run one or the other.

You will have to do some reading on how to create Vbox sessions, but once you do, you can have Linux and XP running at the same time and Vbox creates "virtual drivers" that merely connect to the XP hardware driver. So there's no fooling with hardware issues. Also, with Wubi, once you install it, it can hard to get rid of. With Vbox, you can just erase the session or install another distro directly over the first.

Also, with Vbox, you don't have to burn the .iso to disk. Vbox can use the .iso as a virtual disk.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Haven't used Wubi lately, but have had Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed with Wubi four or five times and each time it was easy to uninstall. What kind of problems do you (lewmur) know of?

Wubi will install w/o a CD/DVD if you put the .iso in the same folder as the Wubi setup.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice