1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a powerful Antivirus program

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dragrin, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dragrin

Dragrin Thread Starter

Hello, Im looking for a really good free antivirus program that i can download. Im currenly using Norton antivirus but it kinda sucks since it seems unable to delete or fix certain viruses.
    There was a really good program i used a while ago, but dont' have it anymore and can't remember the name. If you can think of any really good ones i'd appreciate it.

Thanks

2. beefy

beefy

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

You say that your current antivirus program is "unable to delete or fix certain viruses". IF you are using Windows ME or XP and the infected file happens to be in the System Restore area, then NO antivirus program will quarantine or delete these files since thay are protected by System Restore.

If the files are in the System Restore area, you have to disable System Restore, then re-run your antivirus program. Fix/quarantine/delete the files, re-enable System restore and creat a new restore point.

How to disable or enable System Restore in Windows ME

How to disable or enable System Restore in Windows XP

Hope that helps you.

4. starwaves77

starwaves77

Nighthawk,
    thanks for that explanation on ME and system restore, that explained a problem someone was having with a virus in ME :)

Dragin, while your scanning for virus's,
    it's a good idea to cover yourself with a good trojan detector:

This one is awesome,
    TDS-3 Trojan Detector
    Detects more trojans than any other anti-trojan system

This site has two programs you could also use, download both.
    Misec-Trojan-Detector

TROJAN HUNTER uses powerful scanning techniques such as file, memory, registry, port and ini-file scanning to locate trojans on your system.

AUTOSTART EXPLORER
    Autostart Explorer is the most comprehensive autostart viewer available on the market. It will show you all autostarted files on your system, no matter from where they are started.

More Trojan Hunters & Virus software here>
    Wilders Security

Have fun with all that,
    :)

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Sometimes half the problem is finding out which program to blame for what. :)
    In this case Windows System Restore is protecting the files (as it should), but it makes the AV program look like it's not doing it's job.

6. Dragrin

Dragrin Thread Starter

Thx for the help guys :), Im gonna try that system restore trick now, and check out those other anti virus programs

Thanks again, i'll let you know how it all turns out

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice