Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need a pro to tell me if I'm buying the right RAM

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  rookiegeek 
#1 ·
I'm about to buy some more RAM to max out my Dell Precision 5500. At the moment I have 48GB loaded and I'm going all the way to 72GB which is what this model tops out at. I think I've identified the right kind of RAM to seal the deal but I just need a final nod from someone who knows better.

The RAM kit I've identified is Kingston Model# KTH-PL313K3/24G. A set of 3x8GB DDR3 Triple channel chips with ECC. My doubt arises from the fact that this RAM seems to be used mostly on servers and not workstations like mine.

Here's a link to the system report I generated using CPU-Z

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

#3 ·
Thanks a bunch for the quick clarification dvk01. I gather from the link you sent me that the RAM I'm looking at should be compatible with my Dell since it fits the bill of a PC3-10600 module kit with ECC. Have I got that right? My current configuration has 3 DIMM slots on the MB and the 3 slots on the Riser populated, leaving me with 3 slots free on the MB.

EDIT: I haven't found anywhere whether the Kingston I'm looking at is Dual-Rank or Quad-Rank - I have no idea what this even means but I'm sure it affects the outcome of my setup, looking at the documentation you sent me. Could you possibly point me in some kind of direction that would clear this up for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.