1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a really good Network Engineer here

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aerius, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aerius

aerius Thread Starter

I am almost done with my associates degree in Computer Networking. So I am not a total noob at this, but my friend's computer has me stumped. Here's the scenario.

They have a wireless network. The router and modem is upstairs, with a mac connected to it. Downstairs are two pcs, both wireless. Things have been working for about 7 months just fine. Then, the other day both the wireless computers couldn't get on the internet. Running an ipconfig shows both computers still on the network. Both computers were able to ping each other and the router. I released the ip addresses and renewed them, DHCP server works fine, issued them the ip address. Both were once again connected to the network, able to ping the router. Still can't get on the internet though. I checked the access lists, which I set up for them 7 months ago so just their computers can get on. Nothing has changed, their mac addresses are still the only ones that can get on.

So I got rid of the access list anyway. Same thing, computers are on the network but can't access the internet. Shut encryption off on everything, nothing changes. Reset router to factory settings. Nothing changed.

So, has anyone encountered this before. I am completely stumped. The computers are on the network, they can ping each other, ping the router, but the wireless pc's cannot access the internet, only the directly connected computer can. Signal Strength is excellent. Sharing files printers, everything is great, except the wireless getting on the internet.

2. kushal

kushal

Your problem can only be resolved by upgrading the firmware on your router. Make sure that u have the latest firmware on the router. if u already have the latest one on it reflash it and then hard reset and reconfigure the router all over again.
    It seems that the wireless section of your router has [problems and so u find that the wired comp is working but the wired is not.
    If your router does not work even after firmware upgrade then u need to replace the router.
    this is the only solution.
    I am currently working as a technical support engineer with linksys-a division of cisco systems. so we have encountered these problems hundreds of times.
    if u still have any queries contact me at [email protected]

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know you have success with step 1, so tests 2 and 3 should narrow the problem. No need to upgrade your router's firmware unless the problem turns out to be with the router.

1. On the PC open a Command window and type
    ping IProuter (where IProuter is the IP address of the router)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

IF you got replies,
    2. ping 66.94.234.13 (or any other internet address you know)

If you got replies,
    3. ping www.yahoo.com (or any other internet name)

4. aerius

aerius Thread Starter

*EDIT*
    I misunderstood them. The mac upstairs cannot get through to the internet when directly plugged into the router. He's been unplugging it and putting it into the modem. So, the router will not let any traffic into the outside world, but does create the home network. Unfortunately, I have to wait for tonight to check the router as it is locked upstairs and the owner is at work. Right now the router is unplugged. Tonight I will try the pinging, you think it could be a problem with the DNS? If all else fails I'll try the firmware upgrade. But I'll let you know later tonight if the ping works.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well, first thing that came to mind was the DNS. Make sure that your workstations has the correct DNS server (in this case, the router) and then make sure that the router WAN information is correct (if statically).

If at all possible, try to connect a workstation directly to the modem, that way you can eliminate the router if it happens when directly connected.

Good luck with your last few classes :) I have finished an A.A.S in NetSec and now in MIS for Bachelors.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Updated situation is that NO computers are accessing the internet through the router, right?

Unplug modem and router; connect them; plug in modem; plug in router; boot a computer (preferably connected via ethernet). Any luck with internet? Access the router via browser and see what the WAN configuration and status tell you.

Is the internet via cable or DSL (or something else)?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/511924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice