1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need a recomendation for backup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kerri Ann, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

anyone know of a the best wayto back up a hard drive?
    i need to backup pretty much my entire hdd onto cdrs.

2. Rache

Rache Banned

You'll need a lot of cd's unless you zip the files/folders. Ghost and Drive Image are both good for cloning whole hd's (but not zipping).

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

well, i just happen to have 40 some cds, but i was looking for a management program really, something to help me efficiently back it up, by helping me sort through everything, so i only back up whats needed.

4. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

Go to Start >Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Backup and take a look at the back up utility that comes with Windows, it takes care of the basics. The only thing I ever back up is the files that I create. I also like the Import/Export Wizard in IE6 for saving my bookmarks and cookies; also the Wizard in Outlook Express for saving my address book. The other thing I do is keep a separate partition that I put My Documents on that way if I need to reload the OS my files are not affected. If you are really wanting to be safe get an external drive and direct all your programs to save files to the external drive, but even then it's a good idea to put those files onto CD's,

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For my systems, I start with organizing the data on a separate logical drive. I have all my applications installed on the boot drive, and all the data files on my D: logical drive, the "DATA" drive. Any data that doesn't easily move from the boot drive gets backed up to the D: drive with TaskZip, a convenient backup utility that will run a scheduled backup, mine runs every night. This finishes the job of having all the data on the D: drive. :)

I do a GHOST backup of the boot drive every week, and a data backup of the D: drive every night. I personally use USB hard disks for my backups, but any separate media does the job.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Kerri Ann

I just noticed and read your Signatures Proverbs!:eek: :D ;)

What a hoot!!(y)

Dave

7. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

thanks davey!

johnwill and funkenbooty-
    i tried to use the backup in system tools before, but i can't burn them directly to a cd, it says my f drive is inaccessible. is there a different way to do this? also- i do backup my c drive on d, but im worried about my hard drive dying- it sometimes "grinds" (what an awful noise!!!"
    i have two partitions already- c is where my os is.
    oh yeah, and i just learned about the whole oe address book thing- i almost lost all my contacts due to a accidental reinstallation over my old oe.

8. Dan O

Dan O

The CD drive is not a recognized device for MS Backup. I too use drive imaging, such as Ghost or DriveImage. I find it more reliable and much faster.

9. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

At this point since the drive is making bad noises I would just burn all my important files the way they are to CD ASAP!

10. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok thanks guys, i appreciate the help.

just for future reference, i did happen to find a pretty decent backup utility called ASComp backup maker. it recognizes cdrw drives, and burns directly to them.

11. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

Thanks for the freeware tip. One other really important thing to consider (or not) is that you should test the backed up files on a different PC or at least test them on the one you are using. Sometimes backup software only looks like it is doing what it is supposed to be doing. A former boss of mine found this out the hard way. He had been backing up to tape the same way for over a year, then when he finally needed to access the backups they were all corrupted.:rolleyes:

Here is a good site that tells you more than you probably want to know about backing up Outlook Express

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice