1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a specific type of web search software

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by syc0path, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

I have a database w/ 147 names of research studies in it. I need to find out if the data for these studies has ever been published, and I had a list of about 40 archive websites that publish this type of data. Each site has a search button, so I could copy and paste the name of each study in the search field for each site -- but that's about 6000 individual searches!

Ideally, I'd like a program where it would interface w/ one of the sites, check each name in the database, and provide me w/ a logfile of what it found for each study. Then I could repeat this process w/ each of the 40 sites.

Alternatively, maybe I could find a program where I could give it a list of URLs I need to search, and then paste in each study. And again, it would give me a logfile of what it finds at each site.

Keep in mind these sites are generally maintained by colleges -- they're not major search engines like Google, Yahoo, etc. I found a lot of programs that will automatically connect to like 10 different search engines, but that won't help me unless I can specify which sites to connect to. This is about the closest thing I found: http://www.download.com/Happy-Harvester/3000-2379_4-10195677.html?tag=lst-0-25

But it's not exactly what I want and it's expensive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/381278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice