1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need a system upgrade! recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by galkim, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. galkim

galkim Thread Starter

Hey there!
    i built my own system almost 4 years ago, here are my stats:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 920 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4095 Mb DDR2
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 610477 MB, Free - 489909 MB; D: Total - 1907725 MB, Free - 1738228 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M4A78-E
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled

the thing is, my memory starts getting pretty slow compared to what it used to be...
    and i wanted to either buy new mem sticks or upgrade to some new models,
    the only problem is that my system is running on DDR2 memory and nowadays its not worth getting, and its even more expensive than the newer DDR3 sticks.

so anyways... i wanna uprade my system, meaning that i would probably need a new MOBO and a new CPU, right?
    so could you recommend me some solid MOBO and CPU? i would probably buy new 8GB of DDR3 memory sticks...
    please note that i do play from time to time, but under no circumstances want an extreme gaming system.. that's what i did last time, and to be honest - its not worth the money....i mainly use my system for photography, graphic design, internet, HD movies and the occasional gaming- for which i use my radeon 6850.. and my PSU is 600W... and my case is an Aerocool S9, if anybody is familiar with it...

waiting for your recommendations...

2. TYRONE_MELON

TYRONE_MELON

Hi galkim, I would definately recommend you upgrade your processor, as it is quite an old processor and isn't very powerful. I would recommend something like a Intel i5 2500k, as this processor is fairly cheap.

If you take a look at [this,] your processor is considered quite slow.

I would also look at upgrading your graphics card to something like an AMD 7850, as these are cheap and powerful cards.

Hope this was helpful

3. Simba7

Simba7

Um.. Have you ever ran an AMD Phenom II? I have a (slightly) overclocked Phenom II X3 720 BE @ 3.3GHz. That, combined with a GTS 250, makes it a rather reasonable system. Not to mention, a 6850 isn't a weak card.

What are the issues, exactly.. besides running Windows 8?

4. galkim

galkim Thread Starter

its just reacting slower thatn it used to
    and thats after s system format i did last week

5. Simba7

Simba7

Define slow.. Is the hard drive light going constantly (could be excessive swap).. or is the processor usage getting maxed out?

Also, what are your hard drives?

6. galkim

galkim Thread Starter

no the cpu never gets maxed out
    only the mem
    my HD's are a western digital 640GB and an external WD elements 2TB

7. Simba7

Simba7

Hmm.. Only the memory, eh? How much is the system using?

Also, You can upgrade it to 8GB for ~$100 (4x2GB sticks) or ~$45 (2x2GB sticks). If you want to go with a different board, I would suggest a Gigabyte AM3+ board.

8. galkim

galkim Thread Starter

i KNOW that i need an AM3+ board.. :)
    i just wanted to ask which one...

9. Simba7

Simba7

10. galkim

galkim Thread Starter

no other suggestions for a board + CPU?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice