1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need a wireless repeater?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blothrop, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blothrop

blothrop Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I’ve got a friend whose internet connection and wireless-g router are out in his garage office, and who complains of a very slow and bad connection when he uses his laptop wirelessly inside the house (approx. 40 to 60 feet between router and laptop). Quietly, I say to myself, “Duh!... That far away and through two cement-block walls! Of course, you do.” But, outwardly I say, “Let’s consider new equipment options to boost your signal.”

First, I replaced the minuscule antenna on the D_Link router with a longer high-gain unit. That gave me a measurably stronger signal, but no noticeable improvement in through-put (frequent stop/start delays playing YouTube videos, for example).

If I put a wireless repeater of some kind inside the house, that will surely give me a better connection, but my through-put could conceivably be cut in half, right? Is there a way to fix this without retransmitting the signal?

For another friend with a similar situation I added to their router a cheap little Hawking HSB2 802.11g HiGain Signal Booster, v.2. This seems to have made no difference whatsoever. Signal strength and through-put measures were even worse.

Can anyone with experience in this recommend a good solution? Is it possible to keep the cost to something around a $100?... like maybe a NetGear WN2000RPT100NAS Universal Wifi Range Extender.

Thanks guys!

2. Soundy

Soundy

Switch to an 802.11n router - even with an N card in the computer, you'll see a marked improvement in range.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Location, location, location. If the router's antenna can be placed in a window (or outside) one of the cement-block walls is eliminated.

4. Soundy

Soundy

^That helps too!

5. blothrop

blothrop Thread Starter

Thanks, Soundy!

I assume you meant to write "even without an N card..." Your suggestion does seem like the most wise first step for the future.

And, thanks, TerryNet.

The router is about 12 feet from the window, and the office is on the second floor. But, there's a desktop computer hard-wired to it as well as a network printer. So, it would not be easy to move the router. Could I put the antenna on the end of a 25 ft. extension (coax with RP-SMA connectors)?

I just heard from that other friend with a similar situation… While I was skeptical about the Hawking signal booster I installed for them. They report that it did the trick. The “in-law suite” above their detached garage now has good connectivity, they say. Go figure.

So, how about I use that Hawking signal booster on the end of the 25 ft. extension? It has its own power supply and is already intended to connect at the router's SMA antenna connector with a short lead.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no idea how long an antenna lead can be.

Another idea, not necessarily any better, is to put a Wireless Access Point (or second router configured as an access point) in the window and connect it to the router by ethernet.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice