1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need advice for Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vallan, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vallan

Vallan Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am running a C2D E6600, 2 gigs RAM, Silverstone 560 Watt Power Supply, Intel BOXDP965LTCK P965 Motherboard and PNY Verto GeForce 7900 GS/256 MB GDDR3/SLI/PCI express video card. I am also running XP SP3, which I have to have because of software for work. I just got a great deal on a Samsung 24" monitor (2433BW-1) --which will be a huge help for work --but it has a resolution of 1920 x 1200. My current video card won't support this. I do edit home video and play some computer games--but they are more Myst-type than high action battle games. (For work, I am just looking for page displays -- I'm an editor.) Even though it is no longer cutting edge, lol, I am happy with my machine's current performance --but I'd really like to use that big screen. I also built this computer to be quiet, so I don't want a card that sounds like a jet engine. Can you tell me what you think my best bet is for a video card? Or specs that I should look for for compatibility with my system? I'm looking for a solid performer that won't break the bank or sound like a hurricane. Thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Vallan

Vallan Thread Starter

Thank you for the driver update-- I will save that aside. I thought it wouldn't support it--someone said taht they had to change the resolution BEFORE they plugged in the monitor the first time --that it was in the directions for this new monitor. When I went to look at my settings, they were maxed out at a lesser resolution, so I thought it was the card. D'OH! It was, I believe, just the max setting for THIS current monitor. I am hoping that if I just plug in the new one, the setrtings will adjust accordingly. We will see when it arrives, Thank you for verifying that it should run the higher resolution--at least now I know that it SHOULD work.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, you can change it afterward, actually you have to change it afterward since the video Windows and the driver limit the max resolution to what the currently connected display can handle.

XP isn't smart enough to change the resolution accordingly, Vista and 7 are most of the time but sometimes you need to do it manually anyways.

5. Vallan

Vallan Thread Starter

Okay, I guess I'll find out when I get it. The person who posted this said that when they connected the display, all they got was a box telling them of some sort of error. It said in the instructions (allegedly) tht this box would only display 3 times and then it would be "too late" (that was the purpose of their posting--to find out "too late for what?") and that they had to set the resolution BEFORE they hooked it up. I was worried because in the control panel, my resolution is maxed out at 1680 X 1050, so I would not be able to do this. Sounds bizarre to me too. But BTW, shouldn't the control panel>display>settings show a higher possible resolution if the card can go higher, even if the current monitor can't?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wouldn't put much into that post. There no such thing as it only displaying 3 times and then being 'too late' - not due to a resolution or any other setting. For one the BIOS and Windows load screens display at much lower resolutions, 640x480, and many games do not support such resolutions either and yet are played on various wide-screen LCD's - so for a manufacturer to make a monitor not compatible with every computer in the world just doesn't make sense. LCD monitors look best at their native resolution, but they certainly work at lower resolutions and many people use LCD's are a resolution that is not the native/max resolution 100% of the time.

Windows limits the resolutions to what the attached monitor can handle.

7. Compiler

Compiler

The 7900 will not have any problems with 1920x1200. Most video cards from 2004 support that 1920x1200.

8. Vallan

Vallan Thread Starter

Good to hear! If it wasn't a true post, it's sort of a weird thing to fake about - I have no idea what the story was there, but I will anticipate my new monitor being able to run without problems. If my card can support the monitor's native resolution of 1920 x 1200, shouldn't that resolution show in the control panel setting? Does it show 1680 X 1050 as the highest setting because of the current monitor? Thank you both for your thoughts.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some people just don't know any better, or like to post junk, or are trolls.

I think I have mentioned that it limits the resolution to the currently attached monitor.

10. Vallan

Vallan Thread Starter

Ah, yes you did--sorry. So it looks like it's all good then, and I just have to ignore the trolls. Always good advice, lol. Thanks very much!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!