1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Advice For My Partitioned Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ishnaya, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ishnaya

Ishnaya Thread Starter

Alright so i just got hold of a new laptop
    Specs:

-Windows XP
    -Intel T7500 (2.2 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 4 MB L2 cache)
    -3 GB Ram
    -128 MB NVIDIA 8400m GS
    -160 GB Hard Drive

So I hardly know anything about computers, and the laptop i have has come with a Hard Drive already partitioned as 60 GB Primary and Remainder Secondary (100GB Right?).

So I would like some advice concerning how i should set up my computer that would best suit my needs. (at least concerning my hard drive)

For now i won't have any "super important files or whatever" for the short/longish term future. I am pretty much going to be using this laptop to learn more about computers, since it's the first one i have ever had. I will be downloading music, videos/movies, games... surfing the internet alot... and will hopefully sometime soon start discovering programs and learning/finding different uses for my computer (meaning at some point start using my computer closer to it's full potential).

So any Tips or insight you guys can offer me?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Welcome to the TSG forum.
    The major reason I can think of for partitioning a hard drive is to put ALL your data in the second partition.
    This keeps the OS as small as possible .. easier/quicker to maintain, scan for malware and defragg.

The big reason for a small OS ... and all your Data in another Partition ... is backing it up.
    Do you have an external Hard Drive ??
    Ever heard of Acronis True Image ??
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

3. Ishnaya

Ishnaya Thread Starter

Thanks i'm looking into the acronis true image,
    but the laptop i have has already been partitioned to 60gb and 100gb... i'm guessing that 60gb is probably really big for just my OS... is there a bonus of having such a large primary drive? What can I do to profit from having such a big amount of space in my primary drive?

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Well, with Windows, MS Office, and a few other major applications, you'll easily use up at least 20-30gb, so 60gb is a good size. You always want to have at least 10% of the primary drive space free for Windows to use for temporary files and such.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You and M$ need room in your C Drive to work .. (scratch around in)
    Not enough free space and Windows can have serious problems.

I like a 50 gig C Drive ... But I may have a video or two on my desktop (under construction)
    Anything on your desktop or My docs is in the C Drive.

My Laptop has limited usage .. It has a 35 gig C Partition.

I assume you're not planning on sticking Vista in it.

6. Ishnaya

Ishnaya Thread Starter

I'm sticking with Windows XP ... if i ever do decide to switch to Vista, i'm guessing there will be more than enough room in my C partition.

Thanks alot for your knowledge guys... computers and me haven't yet discovered each other yet.

I had no clue what/why my laptop had a partitioned hard drive... And if it would of benefitted me to look into changing what had been done.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice