1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Advice - HDMI vs Thunderbolt vs external video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KazariK, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KazariK

KazariK Thread Starter

Good Day all,

So I could use some advice.. Im really stuck on why I cant get it to do what I want and not sure what my best solution to solve..

Problem:
    I have a laptop I am out putting video signal to a hdmi splitter box (which is power boosted to ensure no signal loss) to a monitor and to a tv (thats more monitor than tv) . The signal going to the 2nd monitor and tv arent 1080p which is what I would like it to be. I currently am using the thunderbolt output to the splitter and then hdmi to both monitor and tv.

I do have the ability to output via HDMI but thought that thunderbolt was better (I could be wrong of course)..

Im looking to have 1080p at both monitor and tv.

Here is the hardware I am running

ROG G750JH Laptop (http://tinyurl.com/y6f5or5v)
    (Minor changes to laptop, its running a 500gb ssd, 750 hd, and currently 16 gig of ram, but will be upgrading to 32 very soon)
    Splitter box (http://tinyurl.com/yylqsty7)

Sorry, dont have the monitor / tv info at present, but will post that tonight if possible.

So whats my best option to output 1080p? I would very much like to not have to spend a lot of money if possible. Just looking for advice and options at this point..

Thanks
    Kaz

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    To use each screen as a separate display (ie: two different monitors), you need to output from one port directly to each device (ie: one video port for each screen). You can use a splitter (sometimes), but you will get a mirrored output (ie: the same image on both screens). HDMI doesn't always work well or at all with splitters because the handshaking process and HDCP get broken. HDMI is meant to work one port to one device. When the devices are powered on, a handshaking process takes place where the devices talk to each other to determine what signals are supported and can be used. When you split the signal, the source device (ie: computer in this case), will often see conflicting or no information returned from the handshaking process and simply "default" to a low resolution.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice