Need advice installing WinXP Pro and Linux SuSe on blank system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

I have plenty of experience installing all releases of Windows; but, my experience with Linux is years old. I have a Dell laptop here that I am expected to set up with Windows XP Pro and Linux SuSe 9.3 in a dual-boot configuration.

Which OS would be best to install first?

Also, I need advice on partitioning. Frankly, (pardon my ignorance if this sounds ignorant) I would like to set it up on a file system that both Windows XP and Linux could use. FAT32 would be fine--if they have that file system in common.

I'm totally in the dark about Linux so any advice would be appreciated.

Install Windows XP first.
Use FAT32 for Windows, and use ext3 or reiserfs for Linux. You can't run them both on the same filesystem, but this way you will be able to share files between the two.

And you could install XP on the entire HD and then let SuSE shrink the partition as you see fit - maybe 50/50. Thats what I did...

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Well, I personally would make a NTFS partition to install Windows on. Dont use the entire drive. When you are in Windows go into disk management and make a FAT32 data partition. Again just big enough for whatever you need. Then install linux on the remaining space left on the drive.

Alex Ethridge

Thanks.

This was enough (along with distant past experience which I remember vaguely) to give me the idea to divide the drive 50/50 and put Windows in the primary partition I created, and leave the rest of the drive as unpartitioned space. I'll let Linux partition the rest as it sees fit.

I assume that if I get a choice, I should choose ext3 file system for Linux.

Boy, when this customer called, I thought this was a simple I-destroyed-Windows-so-help-me kind of a call. Then she brought out that monster in a green box (Linux) and said she wanted a dual boot. I wanted to scream in terror but maintained my composure long enough to get down the street before I screamed.

Use NTFS for Windows(It's better) and whatever linux uses by default, and make a 'share space' with a Fat32 partition so you can easily share files between the too OS's.

Alex Ethridge

Ah! So they have FAT32 in common.

I'll make a 4-Gig FAT32 partition. That is a safe size, I figure, because it is a size that can be easily burned to DVD.

Alex Ethridge

Nope. Just didn't grasp what the FAT32 partition was for and that both Windows and Linux could read it.

Sorry, I'm just a little thick on these things. Sometimes you have to tell me, then tell me what you told me, then tell me what you told me you told me, then you gotta' explain.

Once I catch on, though, I can usually wing it on my own a little.

Alex Ethridge

This Linux installation is not giving me choices I, with my limited knowledge, need. I am used to installations that give me the opportunity to install Linux to the unpartitioned space. This installation seems to want to wipe out my Windows partition and take over the whole disk.

I'm kinda lost here.

I spent a lot of time setting up and updating this Windows partition and I don't want to lose it.

What to do?

Alex Ethridge

I installed it and from what I can tell so far, I may have wiped out Windows; but, this thing is asking for a user name and password on its first boot and I have no idea what to give it. I am guessing the login name may be "root" but I can't be sure about that.

I have the administrator's manual here but I can't find anything in there that helps.

You may want to start over.
Do as you did before but during the Suse installation, when you get the screen
with a list of things like, Installation type, software packages, keyboard etc , look it over carefully because this is where you can customize things before installation begins. You can click on an item or click the Change button at the bottom of the screen. You can alway click the Back button too.
HTH
lynch

Alex Ethridge

I remember the screen of which you write and I examined everything in it; but, there was nothing in there about a user name or password.

I guess I have no choice; I'll run the install again. This will be the fourth time when counting the time loaded by the owner. I'm not a Linux expert; but, I do know enough about it to carefully read all the screens where I am given any options. This is just another example why I don't think Linux will ever be ready for 'prime time' in any of our lifetimes.

The part about passwords and users comes later.
This is just another example why I don't think Linux will ever be ready for 'prime time' in any of our lifetimes.
Why? Because you cant seem to get it installed properly? Millions are doing it. :)
lynch

I hope you didn't go with NTFS for Windows. Linux NTFS support is not very good, and you may have problems writing data or repartitioning.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online