1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need advice - newbie

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by j-mcallister, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. j-mcallister

j-mcallister Thread Starter

hey. im looking in to installing linux on my pc - i wish to keep my windows os running aswell. i have a linux disc and have tried it from the cd. i want to know what i have to do to get the best results with linux while still keepin my files in xp.

any advice would be great thanks

2. saikee

saikee

A Linux needs a home and that is a partition in a hard disk. About 5Gb will do 95% cases but 10Gb would be ample. The first one also requires a swap partition say about 1Gb.

If your hard disk has no empty space you need to resize the Windows partition first, make it smaller and squeeze empty space out. There are free Live CD called "gparted" and Parted Magic" that can resize WIndows for you. Once empty space is available just using the Live CD to partition the empty space into two partitions as described above.

Install the Linux and tell the installer to use the two reserved partitions. The Linux will automatically dual boot your Windows in a standard installation.

Your files will not be touched by Linux but you can mount the Windows partition (some Linux will do this automatically) so that you can access the files if you want. Standard Linux, without special programs, will only read but not write NTFS partitions. Hence it is pretty safe as long as you know exactly what to do with the partitions.

3. j-mcallister

k i have installed linux and i would like to go about settin up at net connection how do i do this ? i have a bt Dsl modem (usb)

4. saikee

saikee

Couldn't help as I use router that does not need a driver and Internet connection is automatic once the network card is activated.

5. Headrush

Headrush

Please say what distro you are using.
    Many have a built in GUI for doing this.

6. comprookie20

comprookie20

7. j-mcallister

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice