1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need advice on a new video card...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imweasel, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imweasel

imweasel Thread Starter

This pc is a socket A AMD 3000+ Barton cpu on a ABIT AN7 nForce2 mb with AGP 4x/8x.

My gForce 6600gt just bit the dust.

I need help deciding on a video card and would like your opinions/options on what would be the best card to get for around 100 bucks.

Thanks!

2. zyper95

zyper95

There are lots of great graphics card in the market, however in choosing a graphics card the first thing you should consider is whats your purpose of upgrading the video card? Are you going to use it for games?

3. imweasel

imweasel Thread Starter

No need for an upgrade. I use this pc for my gaming box right now.

Mine died. I need a new video card. I have no desire to upgrade my cpu or mb at this time on this box.

4. zyper95

zyper95

Try checking ebay...you could find there good graphics card for a reasonable price. For gaming i suggest you could consider Geforce or ATI graphics card from 128mb+up.

5. twizzie

twizzie

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Nvidia 6600 is still a valid card though you might want to pick up a 7600 now which is a little newer but almost the same card.

7. imweasel

imweasel Thread Starter

I think I will check out the various 7600's. Thanks!

Well, while checking out video cards I found this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102057

It's an ati X1650 Pro. I shy away from ati (only owned one and it was years ago, but it made the titanic look like a bike accident), but it seems to have good specs and it's cheap IF I get the rebate.

Comments on the nvidia/ati debate? And just how much more 'performance' will I get using an nvidia card with my nforce mb?

Thanks!

8. twizzie

twizzie

that's a excellent choice I own the same thing except its a X1600pro (no hdtv support and slower clock speeds) but the graphics are stunning, makes like HD quality pictures. Go for it!

9. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

The X1600pro won't give you a big performance boost in 3D apps like games compared to the 6600gt. Your AthlonXP could pair nice with it but you should check the 7600GS for better performance. The X1650s were ATI's "replacement" for the X1600s as they lost a lot of gamers in the market due to performance issues.

Although I own a 7600GS right now I must admit that I'm an ATI fan...You will not have any image/graphics issues with ATI. Not anymore!

As your CPU is the 3000+ I would suggest going for 7600GT or Radeon X1650XT. Your CPU can "hold" their horsepower and they will last longer than their less powerfull "cousins".

If you can afford them and they are cheap enough generally you could check the 7800GS series.

10. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

11. imweasel

imweasel Thread Starter

Well Mosquito, I think the 7600gs and x1650 pro bench about the same. So it really will just come down to the price. If I get the rebate that x1650 pro is a damn good buy.

I will have to decide if I wanna go with the 7600xt. It's about $150 and I am not sure I want to spend that much.

By the way, thanks for the excellent link. I can now make a better, informed decision.

Rep!

I do wonder if I can run a 7600xt. I have an older socket A mb and I only have an antec 350w power supply.

12. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Yeap, the X1650 pro is a really good buy. Great performance for it's money.
    No thanx needed, I found this link here on the forums by another guy. Just pass the knowledge to anyone who needs it.
    I know about your socketA motherboard since you mentioned your Barton;) You 'll be fine, AGP versions exists of all the cards we are talking about. Just make sure you get the AGP version.
    As for the power supply I can't know for sure...The 7600GS and the X1650Pro will propably
    have no problem...The GT can be a little more power demanding.

Check the above link (also found in the forums ;) )

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp#footnote5

Don't rely on it but it can help you get the general idea.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice