1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need advice on adding desktop to existing home network.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jay109sluggo, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jay109sluggo

Jay109sluggo Thread Starter

Hello, I recently married and want to move my desktop to my wife's home where we've chosen to live. My tablet just finds the wireless router and allow me to connect. My old, now defunct, laptop did the same. My old desktop was connected via wire to my internet connection at my old plsce. What do I need to add to the computer to have it connect wirelessly like the tablet and laptop. I do not need to share info. Just be able to hit the internet from the desktop wirelessly. Desktop is a PC by Dell bought two years ago. Thanks for any help.

2. eddie95

eddie95

needs a wifi card. range in prices

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can be USB connected wireless card or, if you have a spare slot, a PCI or PCIe card.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Netis WF2190 dual band wireless adapter is what I've used with good success with Dell desktops.
    It has a Realtek RTL8812AU chip and supports both the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz wireless bands.
    You can plug it directly into a USB port in your desktop, or you can use its 5' extender cable to position it for clear line-of-sight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

plodr likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice