1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need advice on laptop purchase

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by osephj, Nov 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. osephj

osephj Thread Starter

I have a general question. I hope this is the correct place to post it.
    I am looking to buy a low budget laptop. I am a novice but have research
    some of the basics of what specs are important for different uses. Some of
    the laptops have two drives. One hdd and one ssd. Is this a good setup.
    If one of the drives fails, will the device still work on the other?

would appreciate some opinions.

Thanks

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Only one drive can hold the operating system, usually the ssd. If that fails, no, the other drive does not take over.

If you want laptop advice, you need to post what your budget is (the highest amount you are willing to spend) and also what things you intend to do on this laptop. Editing video requires higher hardware than a alptop that will mainly be used for email and web surfing.

3. osephj

osephj Thread Starter

Thanks for the info about multiple drives. My budget is 400 to 600 hopefully. My current laptop is a hand me down Dell with vista. Its old and tired. I can't update my browsers and some sites I can no
    longer access due to that. My use is just web browsing, simple word processing, photo storage and
    scanning, netflix, and storing and paying e bills. No gaming or photo editing. I do want 64 bit windows 10. Is 4 gb ram ok? Is 256 gb drive good or is 500 advisable. Is dual core processor adequate. Usb 3 is wanted as well. Sorry for so much information. Your thoughts will be appreciated.
    I have done too much research for my skills and my head is spinning.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    400 to 600 in what currency? I have no idea in what country you live. I never assume I know.

For Windows 10, I'd go with 8MB of RAM, not 4. Also from reading it seems Win 10 Pro might be a better choice than Win 10 Home.
    If you intend to store lots of photos then a 256GB hd might be too small. Of course, you could scan, then move the files off the computer and then 256 would work.
    I don't know about dual core versus quad core CPUs. All our computers are rock bottom types.

5. osephj

osephj Thread Starter

us currency. Thanks for your information. Probably not more than 1000 photos. Would 256 be ok?
    Any brands that u are fond of?

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I buy brands that people say avoid and I don't have a problem with them.

256GB would be fine for what I do. My current daily desktop only has a 150GB hd in it and I have installed two operating systems and still have room after about 10 years of use.

I'll look around. First I look at lists certain sites post.
    https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/best-laptops-1
    The only one in this list is Acer Aspire 5. (We own two Acer Aspire netbooks since 2011 and 2013).

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/255115/the-best-laptops
    none here fall in your price range.

https://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/best-laptops-1304361
    nothing in that list. I checked on Acer Swift3 and saw reviews from 2017 and 2018 why you shouldn't buy this.

Then I switched to looking for devices under $600.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/best-laptops-under-600
    Avoid MS Surface. I've read about problems with all versions.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  7. osephj

osephj Thread Starter

Thanks for your help and time spent. I will use your advice and site suggestions.
    I have a working laptop so I can take my time. Probably make a purchase
    between thanksgiving and xmas.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Some of these are under $600.
    https://laptopunderbudget.com/best-laptops-under-600-dollars/

Before you buy:
    Read reviews at more than 1 site. I usually read the 1 and 2 star reviews to see what posters complain about. I also read reviews at PC sites like CNet, PCMag, etc.

Don't be afraid to ask here. Posting something like I'm trying to decide between these 2 or 3 laptops. Does anyone have advice?

9. britekguy

britekguy

Also don't eliminate factory refurbished units from consideration. There are a very great many people who buy laptops without having really considered what they want, and when they find that "one thing" missing or don't like the touch of the keyboard they promptly return it. These units cannot be resold as new, and unless they're sold by a retailer as open box they generally go straight back to the manufacturer.

I have two HP laptops of the 15-ba0XX series, that have A12-9700P APUs and 2 TB HDDs (just before SSDs became much cheaper and more popular) that were at the low end of your range several years ago and neither has given me problems.

For what you state your usage would be you can definitely stay within your budget and get a machine that's in a significantly higher performance range than what you're currently using. Like all electronics what was flagship three years ago is "lower end" now. And the beat goes on . . .

10. osephj

osephj Thread Starter

Thanks. I will do so. I was wondering about the refurbished offers. Will definitely consider that
    as well. I do think I want to stick with ssd. I will take my time. probably buy before xmas.

11. osephj

osephj Thread Starter

Saw an ad from BH seller. Does anyone know if they are reputable?
    They have a Dell 15 5000 15570-52625slv listed for $499 .
    256 gb ssd. windows 10 home 64 bit 8GB DDR4 Ram
    Intel i5-8250U quadcore processor
    This seems like a good choice. What am I missing?

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  13. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  14. osephj

osephj Thread Starter

Thanks, I have been looking at HP, Dell,and Acer sites as well as amazon etc. There have been
    several offers that are definite may be's. One I really liked was the acer aspire 5.
    model A515-54-51 DJ. $449.99 . Now it is probably back to the $504.00 price.
    I hesitated because on a customer review he said it runs very hot and is twice or more noisier
    than his other laptops. He just purchased it and wonders if the heat will cause an early failure
    to its life. I wonder if all of this model are like that. Has anyone had experience with this unit?

Thanks

15. MariaAnn80

MariaAnn80

First Name:
    Maria
    Hi, I would like to buy a new laptop, Is 8gb of ddr4 better than 16gb of ddr3?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice