1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need advice on why dialup 23kbps only

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lovujules, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lovujules

lovujules Thread Starter

I am helping a friend who had some viruses,mywebsearch and a bunch of stuff. I got her almost clean. But while downloading spyware removals, she mentions how long it's taking her dial up,"more than usual" to download spybot. We both have similar pc's and modems. Well i asked her what speed it was and she said, 23kbps. I was like, what? are you sure? Mine is usually at 50kbps.
    I can't figure out an updated driver. The zoom website only has ones with letters after the model number 3025 and hers is different than those if I read correctly.

So I guess my question is, does anyone know how to configure a modem from 23kbps to in the 40's maybe? haha,,,,
    zoom v92/90 56k pci modem with onboard dsp. Model number 3025
    It would have i would think the original driver for it from the cd
    I can recheck what it is if needed. Windows xp sp1 Emachine;256mb thanks

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

do you have the same isp?

what is onboard dsp?

take your computer to her house and see if you still get 50k.

phone lines determine the connect speed, relative to the speed capability of the modem.

3. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

It may just be the ISP, my friends dial up is very erratic, sometimes its at 40 ish kbps, sometimes 30 ish, sometimes even down to 20. It's nothing wrong on his end, its just the speed fluctuates because of the ISP

4. lovujules

lovujules Thread Starter

Driver provider: Zoom Telephonics,Inc
    Driver Date: 8/5/03
    Driver Version: 173.28.0.0
    Digital Signer: Not digitally signed

My speed is always the same when I check it.So I figured something was wrong. Her mom who lives in same area and has same phone provider which is nep.net and hers is usually around 48. So wasn't sure if it needed configuring or not.
    We had found tons of internet sites in her hosts log and deleted them. I didn't know if that may have changed something or not. So wanted to ask someone who knows about modems. I don't know much on them.

It says on box onboard dsp? Beats me,,,,haha
    Well thanks and will check back but I guess it's no big deal. thanks alot!!

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Actually the ISP is seldom responsible for the speed. That suggests that they would have low speed modems in the pools, which would be unrealistic these days.

More likely it is the phone line conditions either in the house or between the house and the exchange.

6. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

so i guess not a whole lot you can do to change that except, upgrade to broadband (y) :D

7. lovujules

lovujules Thread Starter

I told her to get high speed, she laughed.haha,,, :p

What about the phone cord? Maybe needs a new one? Well maybe try that.
    Thanks all!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice