1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Advice Regarding Infected Files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kjhowd, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kjhowd

kjhowd Thread Starter

I have recently taken an office manager position in a small office. They are expecting me to act as IT person as well. Though I have enough knowledge to handle most things, I have become stumped on this latest problem.

The server has over 1000 infected files on it. I have run NAV and quarantined them all. What I want to do is delete any unnecessary files. How do I tell what files I need to keep (those that may have an effect on the operating system) and those that are non-necessary.

The server currently runs NT4 and so far doesn't seem to be affected by the viruses. It would take an age to describe all the files that have been infected. So I guess Im basically looking for the shortest possible route to know what I should or shouldn't delete.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Let me know if you need more detail.

Thanks

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

What virus was it infected with?
    Try to repair/heal all of the files. If any can't be repaired, look for a dedicated fix tool for this virus.
    If some files still cant be fixed, delete them. If any important files can't be repaired, the infected copies are of no use.

If the system works with the files in quarantine, it will work with them deleted.

3. kjhowd

kjhowd Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. They were all infected with [email protected] I did try to repair them and none could be. The network settings and the OS do seem to run fine with them all quarantined.

Before I go ahead and delete them, could you tell if there is a fix for this virus and where I would find it?

Thanks again for your help and your quick response.

kjhowd

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice