1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Advice: Upgrading Hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Warlord Jimmy, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Warlord Jimmy

Warlord Jimmy Thread Starter

Firstly, thanks for reading (sincerity guaranteed). Secondly, I apologise for my appalling humour in my writing… I just can’t help myself. So, I should probably get to asking my question right about now otherwise you shall think me to be wasting your time… and we do not want that now, do we? – Counterproductive much!

Okay the computer I have now must be like 5 years old or something which probably makes it nearing retirement age in computer years. I now have to read the back of boxes in the shop to check the old-timer will be able to make sense of it… its terrible! So you may see where I’m going with this… changes need to be made. Because before too long ArenaNet will be releasing the long awaited sequel to a very popular MMORPG which promises to be “visually appealing” – which has the Old-Timer rather worried; “He’s getting too old for this kinda’ stuff…” So he needs your help! When the sequel is released I want to be able experience it in its full glory! Like the first time you exit the sewers in ES IV:Oblivion after getting so accustomed to the grey, rocky wastelands of ES III: Morrowind. I plan to be awestruck by GW2, yes, struck by awe!

Which really is a very long winded way of saying: “What should I do?”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model: HP Pavilion m7000 Media Centre PC (a.k.a. ‘Old-Timer’)
    MB: (not sure – doesn’t appear to have any recognisable brand logo on the board)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13GHz
    PSU: Sweex 400W Dual-Fan
    RAM: 2.00GB (does not appear to be branded)
    HDD: 2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
    GPU: Radeon X1600XT

Note: ‘Old-Timer’s’ stock PSU was upgraded due to failure… I know Sweex aren’t exactly the best known brand, but – if I may – I really do recommend. It has given the ‘old-timer’ a new lease of life and even quieted him quite substantially from the anti-social groaning sounds that he used to produce.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I’m going to have to spend a bit of money, but my budget is pretty limited… Is there anything I can salvage from the old machine? The GPU definitely has to be upgraded, what’s the best mid range card going at the moment? Something like the HD 5750 – that’s about my price range – would my current PSU be up for powering that card? I reckon the CPU is still serviceable… upgrading that might bump the price up considerably (I’d probably have to change the MB too) but more than likely well worth the investment? I think I’ll more than likely need a new case too; the old one is only just big enough for the current set-up and will definitely not house the brutish HD 5750.

Advice on any of these questions and/or other options available will be greatly appreciated! And, once again, thanks for reading!

Jimmy. :)

-----

UPDATE: I'm now seriously considering just scrapping most of the old system in favour of just buying a new one. CyberPowerSystems seems to be offering some very good deals on custom PC's and I've got one spec'ed up for under £600 which i believe will suit my needs nicely:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3 540 3.06GHZ 4MB L3 Cache LGA1156
    HDD: 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
    MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte P55M-UD2 Intel P55 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 3 PCI
    MEMORY: 4GB (2x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
    VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5750 PCI-E 16X 1GB DDR5 Video Card

~£580

Would anyone change anything with this? It'd all be compatable, right? I would be salvaging only the optical drive and possibly HDD's from the old machine.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are correct; you really cannot put money into such an old machine. It is counter productive. The new one you listed seems reasonable [I do not know anything about parts cost in UK] It should run the games you want. You must remember that modern mb usually have only 1 ide type connector so you might be somewhat limited in your ability to use the old hd and optical drives.

3. Necratis

Necratis

The system you specced from CyberPower is decent, but with some problems. The PSUs they bundle with Cyberpower PCs are horrible, the only way to go for PSU is Antec, Corsair, or OCZ, but i prefer Antec. To upgrade to any of those CPPC is charging you like another 80 bucks or more $, or whatever converted to UK. Also, the Seagate HD is not stable, and has gotten very bad reviews. I would go with a Western Digital. My advice to you is to build your own PC! You will be able to do it for around the same price, but you will have exactly the parts you want and know are reviewed highest.

If you would like i can piece together a PC using www.newegg.com for you. I have been building computers for years and have alot of experience knowing what goes well with what. If you havent build a PC before,

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've removed your email address and other contact methods from your post. This is a forum and support comes through the forum not through email, that defeats the purpose of a forum and prevents others from verifying what you post.
    And posting your email in an open forum is an invitation for spam.

P.S. www.newegg.com doesn't ship to the U.K. Product available and pricing will be different there from what Newegg may offer.

5. Warlord Jimmy

Warlord Jimmy Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! :)

- Yes I believe you are most likely right CRJ, both of my current HDD are IDE I think. I am wondering, however, if I can use one of my old HDDs in the new system (i.e. my C:/ Drive) would that enable me to dual boot? So I could run XP Media Centre if I should ever have the need?

- I did actually spend an hour or so looking around on UK online shops (i.e. dabs.com, scan.co.uk etc.) however I found that it would actually cost me more (£620 and thats excluding the OS) to get the same spec's as the CyberPower PC and build it myself. Not quite sure why this is...

I am currently contemplating going for the CyberPower system even with the potetially shoddy PSU that they will bundle in (this can always be upgraded in the future with relative ease) I think its just about the best deal I'm gonna' get.

Any further advice would be extremely helpful as I will not be ordering anything for a week or so at least. Thanks again!

Jimmy. :)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The chances of Windows booting off the IDE drive are low, generally when you change motherboards Windows bluescreens and refuses to boot. I fit does you'll have to perform an in-place reinstall of Windows or a full format and reinstall.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Moving an os and or swapping mb without a clean install of that os is a somewhat involved task. There are detailed instructions for performing this task at the top of the forum. Do understand that if you are going to dual boot and you add the drive after win7 was installed, you are either going to have to edit the BCD file manually or use a third party boot mgr.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!