1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Advice With Cloning(Backup). Possible HD Trouble.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zehnsik, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zehnsik

Zehnsik Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    Pretext:
    (You don't have to read this, but it's just some background if you want to know where I'm coming from. I also apologize if I come off as blunt or "non-formal", but I imagine that if I write my issue almost like a story, it's a lot more fun to read, and for me to type. (I also apologize if I over-use brackets (Like this), but they're just so fun, no?))

Currently, I'm in "Just hanging on in hopes that nothing blows up" mode, since this tech stuff is giving me a headache (Figuratively speaking). I consider myself Above-average with computers (But mostly Windows 7) since I use them (And I quote "them") a lot. I've fixed quite a few issues in the past by myself, and a couple times, I even made a post like this right before I resolved the issue alone. (Silly me)

But regardless, I'm mostly here seeking advice, or guidance, more like: "If you were me, what would you do?"

So basically, I finally decided to search "tech help" for the first time, because, you know... I find it hard to admit I need help. And so, I found this cool place, and I'm hoping it's everything I was looking for and more.

Also, I'm a PC gamer, but don't worry, I consider myself to be a lot more polite than other gamers out there. I have like 300GB of random stuff on my PC, games and non-games. Not like it's a huge loss or anything, if it were to be lost in a hard drive failure, but it'd be nice to not have to re-do all of the certain game-y stuff I have, or re-configure all over again, my Windows to the settings I like.

Okay... hope you're not bored or thinking something like "What is this kid rambling about?". We'll just move on... I actually have a few issues that "started" all this (Me deciding to make this post), but feel free to ignore the first 2 if you think it's not related (You can read them later if they do):

The Recycle Bin is corrupt.
    ("Wait, where's my stuff?...")
    Priority: 4/10.
    I could live without it I guess. I'm sure I could find a solution if I looked, which I have.​

This is one of my issues. My Recycle Bin is corrupt. Yes. Corrupt. There's something funny-sounding about that: "I have a corrupted Recycle Bin..."(How is that even possible, dude?). Anyway...

Here's what happens: I go to delete something and my PC is all like "Yo, are you sure you want to permanently delete all these items?". I hadn't noticed it was saying that, until I went to check my Recycle Bin for something... and it was empty. It's always empty. (Like my soul)

I looked for some solutions, and since I expected that my Windows could probably use a decent checking up on anyway, it led to this...

"sfc /scannow" refuses to finish.
    ("More like /scannever")
    Priority: 2/10.
    Unless it's directly the result of a hijacker or malware, I don't much care. If there's a work-around to get the Recycle Bin fixed, that's fine. (Mostly just seems like a hassle to fix)

I've tried this twice (Just "finished" the second scan as I typed this), and every time I get to 22%, command prompt gets in my face, all like: "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation, foo". So I give up, and admit defeat. You win, Windows. You win. (Guess that's why they call it windows *Bu dum tss*)

But on the other hand, this is the issue that concerns me most...

I can hear unusual noises from my PC, and I expect it's my HDD.
    (Me:"Is this normal?" Internet:"WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!")
    Priority: 11/10.
    I just need someone to tell me that it's going to be fine. I'm very paranoid about something happening.

I suspect that maybe when you search something, like an issue you have, the internet will always show the most severe scenario. And that it's really hard to find the useful information that you seek. But anyway, my Hard Drive makes noises, okay? I'm not completely stupid, so I can determine the differences between an HDD failing, and an HDD making noises in general (If I were to be given the proper information about Hard Disk Drives). But instead, every time you search something like "Hey, can hard drives make noises without failing and stuff?" you get results similar to: "The sounds of a sick PC" or "Holy cow, you're screwed!" or "If your Hard Drive makes sounds, then derpaderpader" Etc.

So anyway, it starts making sounds on startup, or, you know, when it's accessing a bunch of stuff. It's not similar to many of the "failing hard drive" sounds that I listened to, but it's more of a muted clicking, and when it does it, it's a constant. Here's a GREAT example: it sounds rather like a Geiger Counter (Radiation Detector) when measuring radiation levels. So just imagine that, but less muffled, and more pronounced. (But it's not actually all that loud)

There are also occasional odd disk whirring sounds, or a grinding that fluctuates (Which could be a fan, actually). And also odd quirky-sounding mechanical noises thrown in sometimes, but neither are happening frequently enough to cause concern. Nor are they jarring.

I can start up a game and be fine, and have a couple games open, even. And sometimes that won't trigger any noises to happen. Overall, the noises seem quite random, but almost always make the clicking on startup.

To be honest, I can start my operating system without error, so that alone makes me think the shape of the disk drive is "healthy". (Can technology of any kind really be considered "healthy"?)

Important stuff for troubleshooting I guess:

I've done testing with "SeaTools for Windows" and all the basic tests (S.M.A.R.T., Short Generic, Long Generic, Etc.) passed.

I've done "chkdsk" in the past, a few times.

As far as I can remember, I've had 5 BSoDs the past year, which 4 of those I believe were caused by a rare conflict (Unresolved, but not what I'm here for) caused by the game Unturned (Totally stopped playing after the 4th time). And the other caused by AVG doing a scan... (If those are important somehow, let me know and I'll tell you more)

Here's some stuff, but feel free to ask for more stuff if the stuff here isn't the stuff you need:
    (Idk how to use spoilers, or if you have them)
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, AMD64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 8191 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, -2048 Mb

Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (666 GB Free); (Unrelated, but I think the amount of free space is funny)
    Motherboard: XFX, MI-A78S-8209 (This is a weird motherboard...)
    Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I learn as I go, and try to adjust. I'm not the worst with communication, so I imagine I'm not the worst person to work with.

But, please let me know if I could be better at communicating. Otherwise, I also would like to know if this topic would be better answered in a different section, because I thought Windows 7 was quite suitable.

So basically...

Here's why I'm freaking out: I don't have a backup of my PC.

I wouldn't be here, if I thought my hard-drive was fine, so I hope it is fine.

Regardless, here's what I ask of you generally:​
    • I need to know the best option of backing up my PC. I would prefer a clone, or something similar. Or simply put: Is there a device that will let me clone my hard-drive, then restore that clone to a new hard-drive (Same PC, just a new hard disk) in case of failure?
    • In case you think the first question isn't good enough, I'm open to alternatives, so basically: If you think there's a better way of backing up for my case, I'm open to ideas (Doesn't mean I'll accept them).
    • Should I be concerned about any of these issues?
    • Should I continue using my PC?
    • Is troubleshooting worth fussing over?
    • Am I over-reacting? (I do that sometimes)
    That sums it up for now
    (Mostly because my mind is getting strained from typing)

But yeah, basically, I'd rather be safe than sorry. So any help about this stuff would be greatly appreciated.
    (Because I don't know much about backing up a PC...)

Thank you for reading.
    Feel free to ask for anything that will help you help me, if needed.

Sincerely,
    -Andrew​

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hi there.

I kind of "skimmed" over the post but I got the gist of it.

I can tell by what you are describing you definitely have the "click of death" as we call it, from your HDD.

Now here's the problem...Once the hard drive starts making these "clicking sounds" it's failure is imminent. Depending on how bad it already is it may be futile to make a clone. The reason I say that is because if your partitioning is goin bad then your "cloned image" will have the same sector issues and losses as well.

I recommend Macrum Reflect or Acronis for the "cloning." First is completely free of charge, other is about 10-20$, depending on where you buy it.

Regardless of what you do you WILL HAVE TO BUY A NEW DRIVE. There's no getting away from that. Once the clicking starts, failure WILL HAPPEN it's just a matter of when.

What I would recommend is go buy a new drive. Get a good one not some cheap.piece of crap from eBay for 20$. Get a quality drive like a WD Black or a Seagate Barracuda. Barracuda is my choice cause slightly cheaper than the Black, but the black is best quality.

Then what you can do is download the cloning program and make the boot media and the backup file.

Turn off the computer and put in the new drive and then load the backup onto the new drive and take it for a test run. Make sure all of your files are intact and your games launch ok.

If so I would likely assume you were successful in cloning without any errors, BUT need my warning there's no guarantees in the cloning process once the source drive has gone bad.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the new drive. Doing a clean install of Windows and updates to it. Then reload all of your programs and files from the old drive to the new one and then make a BACKUP RIGHT AWAY of the new drive for future use. That way you can avoid this "hassle" in the future.

Hope this helps. Didn't mean to get all "long-winded" on ya but lemme know.if you need more help.

Cheers

Andrew

Zehnsik likes this.
  3. Zehnsik

Zehnsik Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ah, I see. So I was right to trust my gut. I hope I've caught this issue early, because I only just noticed it this month.

Regardless, I made my post WAY too long (mostly because I didn't know how descriptive I should be), and your reply would be short in comparison, so no worries on being "long-winded".

I needed to just do some research, but I decided to just ask for help instead for some reason, but anyway, you're right. At this point I just need to get everything off of there, and until I do, I'm keeping my computer off, so thanks for warning me.

Now, I hope it's not much trouble, but I don't fully understand cloning, so I might need an explanation. Here's what I get from it:

So I get the fact that cloning works like this: HDD>Spare drive>New HDD. But I wouldn't know exactly how the transfer works.

Is "Macrum Reflect" and "Acronis" the software I install to transfer to a backup drive? Stuff like that.

I also wouldn't begin to know how to transfer from the backup drive to the new hdd, as I've never done something like this before. Though I'm certain I can learn.

And I'm a bit concerned whether or not I should be careful with what drive I buy as it's possible that the hard disk may be "incompatible" with my system, correct?

Also, would the backup drive that I'm buying need to "support" said cloning?

All help is appreciated, thank you.

Edit:
    I still might clone, but after some thought about what you said with the cloning being futile if it's bad enough, I've decided to get all the important files off first(Then maybe clone)... and unfortunately, I might have to consider a new install of windows, from what you're saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice