1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need advice with major modification!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jester2138, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jester2138

Jester2138 Thread Starter

Hello everyone! This is the first time I have done any major hardware upgrades; previously I have only swapped out RAM and a video card.

I have wanted to do a major upgrade for a long time now. I did some looking on the web and put together a draft list of parts, but would like advice as to whether they are the best in their price range or even work together at all. To complete the system I will use a case, power supply, and cables I already own.

Motherboard
    ABIT KN9 SLI AM2 Socket 940
    $120
    Has space for two SLI nVidia GPU’s plus other stuff.

GPU
    XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX
    $130
    SLI Ready
    256MB
    DirectX 10 compatible

RAM
    Buffalo Select 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
    $61 / $122
    Maybe buy two?

Processor
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHZ
    $140

Hard Drive
    Seagate/Barracuda 7200.10 500GB
    7200rpm
    16mb cache
    $120

Total = $570 / 630 depending on RAM.

All prices are from tigerdirect.com, where I'll likely be ordering from. Also be aware that all this will come from many many many many hours working the lawn, so any increase in price is a BIG deal. I intent to use this as a gaming PC.

Thanks in advance for help and advice!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. Jester2138

Allright thanks! Would I need a special power supply or would the one that came with my Dell 2400 work just fine? You see why I need help...

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need a new power supply, The Dell's one are only good enough to power the Dell as it is from the factory, not enough wattage for much else. Plus the new motherboards need additional power connectors that older power supplies just don't have.

Here's a decent one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104037

6. Jester2138

So the GPU, CPU, Power Supply, RAM, Mobo, and HDD that I have selected with your help should work together just fine.

So the only thing missing is the case (besides the optical drive)? And I can use pretty much any case, or like the power supply do I need a special one?

Once I get all this I'll be able to put it together easily, it's just the figuring out what to get that's tough...

Thanks a lot for the help, I'd be completely lost on my own :)

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can choose almost any standard case that you like.

8. Jester2138

Ok thanks a lot!

9. Jester2138

I looked at some cases, and saw that there is something called "Cuve PC's". I think they require a Micro ATX size motherboard, so, if I were to get a Cube PC case and a Micro ATX motherboard, would I also need to get a smaller graphics card and hard drive and such? Is there any difference between Micro ATX and ATX besides size?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wouldn't touch one of those systems, avoid micro-ATX or smaller designs, they are hard to upgrade, the power supplies are more expensive and lower wattage, and then you have heat issues. Get a standard ATX case.

You won't find many high end graphics cards that are low profile which these cases may need.

11. Jester2138

Thank you very much, I think I know what I need now! Thanks!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!