1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need advice with setting small network up!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by robbie_p, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Thread Starter

Hi,

I am looking to create a small network consisting of 6 or 7 wireless laptops for my business.

I am unfamiliar with networking, and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to explain the process of configuring these machines. Detailing what hardware i will need to purchase to allow internet access for all computers, with the potential to increase amount of computers, also allowing the computers to talk to each other etc.

I understand this probably sounds like a stupid thread to post but any advise on this matter would be extremely grateful.

Thanks for your co-operation

:)

2. throdne

throdne

Robbie, hello

i see your laptops will be wireless, first things first, do you know what type of wireless the laptops are? Most laptops today are wireless G. but some of the high end ones come with wireless N. but with wireless you would need a good router to send the wireless signal around the building. i would say that the linksys wireless G router is a great product. i use if for myself and i have never had any troubles with this product. also, are the laptops going to have windows XP PRO or VISTA? your best bet would be to go with XP, Vista is great, but there is nothing you really need that vista has to offer for your business. well, i shouldn't say that the only thing that i see that you will not have is directX 10 witch is for gaming. if your just going to do like word DOCs and other stuff like that, i would go with XP, now saying XP, What are you trying to do with the computer networked? files sharing. Computer controller, like a VNC, or just something else. windows has good file sharing, but you have to make sure that they are under the same workgroup. please respond with more info to my question and we will go from there.

3. robbie_p

robbie_p Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - Great Help

The laptops that i have purchased are all wireless G and use XP Professional . Thanks for the advise on the linksys wireless G router, think i will purchase that product. I might also use my personal laptop for internet access in different locations throughout the building. Do you think there will be a problem with connectivity for this?

The main idea is to be able to transfer large files to any machine with them all sharing one printer.

You mentioned computer controller, could you explain what that means please.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The fact that you are talking about "large files", indicates that you don't understand the limitations of wireless networking. With a single workstation connected, you'll probably get around one or two megabytes a second transfer speeds. If you have three or four machines connected to a single wireless access point, the speeds will plummet! Also, the statement about "different locations throughout the building" is potentially troublesome. Depending on the size and construction of the interior of the building, you may need a number of AP's to cover it.

5. throdne

throdne

Hello,

ok, well first the file sharing, there is a good product out there that is called network storage, so it like having a hard dive that every computer can see and use it. so, every one can keep adding files and taking out. i was looking into this for media, like music with my laptop and my two desktops. i would recommend this because it has low up keep, all you do is set it up and your good to go. you can find a lot of great products that you want for your bis at http://www.newegg.com/ i buy all my computer stuff from there, very low prices and very very very very fast delivery. ok, VNC is a type of computer controller, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC has the info your looking for. it is very good for IT guys that need to work on a computer but can't get up and move to that computer. they can do it right from there desktop, so it like taking control of the other computer. i'll see what other info i can come up with for your bis.

Always, Throdne.

6. robbie_p

robbie_p Thread Starter

Thanks Throdne, your one of the good guys

How much do you think it would cost to create the network.

Is it worth looking into not making the network wireless if there might be complications with speed and coverage.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the option exists to go wired, you'll be MUCH happier with the results in the following areas.
    • Speed
    • Reliability
    • Security
    In truth, the only thing wireless has going for it is... well, it's wireless. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice