1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need advice with USB wireless on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by guy2, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy2

guy2 Thread Starter

I have a machine in my basement running Ubuntu Studio that i want to connect wireless with

BELKIN Model: F6D4050 v2 Enhanced Wireless USB adapter

to my wireless router is Linksys wireless G broadband router WRT54G2 v1.3 that's currently connecting my laptop with built in wireless.

What programs do i need to run/configure in my ubuntu machine ,it does not detect the hardware iv never done this before.

I have the password for the linksys ,whats next?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To maximize the chances of having the adapter recognized make sure it is plugged in before you boot.

If it is not recognized chances are there are no Linux native drivers for it. In that case sometimes the XP driver can be used with ndiswrapper.

This page assumes your wireless adapter is ready to go.

This How To has a lot of good information and links to more, but I think it is a bit dated.

Lists of supported adapters and ones that work with ndiswrapper can be found here.

3. guy2

guy2 Thread Starter

My card is not supported ,no F6 models

Installed ndiswrapper using my mailed ubuntu 9.10 and package manager.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice