1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need advice

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by cj2448, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cj2448

cj2448 Thread Starter

I just found this website and I am IMPRESSED! Seems a wonderful group of people!

I have a question:

I want to know as a home user, connected w/cable modem, running WindowsXP home edition, what should I have on my computer to protect from viruses?

I currently have Norton AntiVirus 2004. However, I have been getting a lot of viruses and most Norton can fix, but 1 I got recently it couldn't and you all helped me to get instructions on fixing.

I just think I should be doing more, seeing by reading all your postings, I see things about PCilling (or something like that) and spyware etc?

Thanks a bunch for you input, kindest regards to all!

2. Flrman1

Flrman1

Welcome cj2448. Glad you like the site.

Here are some programs prevention and removal you should get in addition to your AV.

You should get a good firewall if you do not have one. See this thread for some good free ones:

http://forums.techguy.org/t110854/s.html

Go here and download Adaware 6 Build 181

Install the program and launch it.

First in the main window look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now and download the latest referencefiles.

Make sure the following settings are made and on -------ON=GREEN

From main window :Click Start then Activate in-depth scan (recommended)

Click Use custom scanning options then click Customize and have these options selected: Under Drives and Folders put a check by Scan within archives and below that under Memory and Registry put a check by all the options there.

Now click on the Tweak button in that same window. Under Scanning engine select Unload recognized processes during scanning and under Cleaning Engine select Let windows remove files in use at next reboot

Click proceed to save your settings.

Now to scan just click the Next button.

When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it.(Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and click Next)

Restart your computer.

Then go here and download Spybot Search & Destroy.

Install the program and launch it.

Before scanning press Online and Search for Updates .

Put a check mark at and install all updates.

Click Check for Problems and when the scan is finished let Spybot fix/remove all it finds marked in RED.

Restart your computer.

Go to Windows update and install all "Critical Updates and Service Packs"

Go to Start > All Programs > Spybot Search & Destroy > Spybot S & D (Advanced mode) to open Spybot in Advanced Mode.
    Click on the "Spybot S&D" button in the left column and under that click on "Immunize". On that page under "Permanent Internet Explorer Immunity" click the "Immunize" button then down below that under "Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer" click "Install" then right there in the dropdown menu set it to "Block all bad pages silently". Next under that you will see "Recommended miscellaneous protections". Put a check by "Lock IE start page against user changes (current user)".

Remember to Immunize regularly as the protectons are updated too.

Finally go here for info on how to tighten your security settings and how to help prevent future attacks.
    On this page you will find links to Javacool's SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard and IE-SPYAD. Get them all and check for updates frequently.
    The Immunize feature in Spybot used in conjunction with SpywareBlaster , SpywareGuard, IE-SPYAD and weekly scans with Spybot and Adaware will go a long way toward keeping your PC free of these pests..

Important!: ALWAYS check for updated detections and referencefiles before scanning with Spybot and Adaware and be sure to check for updates to SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard on a weekly basis.

3. cj2448

cj2448 Thread Starter

Awesome, Thanks A Heap!

4. Flrman1

Flrman1

My pleasure! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice