1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need advise on new video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShenaniganS, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShenaniganS

ShenaniganS Thread Starter

I am thinking of upgrading my current video card. I currently have a GeForce4 MX440. I plaly many online games but mostly Counter Strike.

Any advice on what video card i should go for? Should i just save my money? Any comments,suggestions, pleaz reply!

Thanx in advance

:D

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

What mobo and speed/type processor are you planning to use it with? A faster card may not be any faster with your setup if your useing a older PC.

3. ShenaniganS

Thanx for the reply gotrootdude.

Curretly i am running a AMD 2100+.That good or bad? Heard that the new AMD 3000 came out but was too much for me and also i didnt know how it performed against the Pentiums and the Intels. Well what do you think, upgrade or leave as it is? thanx!

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

A Ati Radeon 9600 PRO or higher should give it a boost.

I wouldn't upgrade the cpu yet, wait another year and get a 64bit cpu instead. Besides, you could possibly overclock the one you have. I have a 1466mhz/1700+ running at 2609mhz which should be in the same category for performance as a 3ghz chip.

5. ShenaniganS

Thanx for the advise. Think that ill just save my money for the time being. I have a friend that dislikes the Radeon's and we stick to the GeForce cards. If you dont mind can you tell me how they differ and in what they are good for?

thanx for your time

6. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

if the game you mostly play is counterstrike id suggest you save your money cause a new one wouldnt change a thing and the one you have rite now is fine!

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you're wondering what the difference between ATI and Nvidia is - its make, like GM and Chrysler.

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

There really ISN'T much need to dislike ATi for the sake that you (and your friend) own a Nvidia based card.

I mean, yes, the GeForce3 was faster than the ATI8500... but that was about two years ago. Currently, Nvidia has the FASTEST DX8 card on the market - the GF-5900, a $400~500 product. Which, plays DX9 games SLOWER than the $170 ATI 9600Pro!!

I install both ATI & Nvidia cards... All my hardware is Nvidia or 3dfx... But if I had $400 to blow, it would be the 9800 hands down.

Nvidia, just like Intel - doesn't always make the best stuff.

9. RSM123

RSM123

ShenaniganS,

Suggest you bookmark this site :

http://www.tomshardware.com

Take a look as / when regarding developments in pc hardware be it processors, graphics cards, mobos, etc then you can see what's new, how good others have found it, and decide if its a purchase you want to make.

10. ShenaniganS

Thanx for the info and the advice and i will keep that bookmaked to see whats new.

11. Rox Shox

Rox Shox

ATI 9600 Pro, that way as the new DX9 games come out, you will see the added graphics features because the 9600 is a DX9 certified card, and it's price is reasonable. Very fast too for the money. If you like NVIDA, an Ultra 5600 would do nicely.

12. putasolution

putasolution

You say you have the MX440, is that the 64Mb flavour or the 128?

If you are runing a 64 then it might not harm to move up to a 128

I used to be very much in the Nvidia camp until I first installed Xp. It seemed that Nvidia couldn't make up their mind from one moment to the next regarding drivers, and was getting constant Stop screens, so I thought I would give the Radeon a go.

Like Rox Shox and gotrootdude, I went for the Radeon ATI 9600 Pro 256Mb 8X, costing about $150, Best thing I ever did, it never fails, it is incredibly quick, installed without a hitch and combined with my TFT Monitor provides by far and away the best graphics I have ever seen on a medium priced card

The drawback was that I had to upgrade the mobo, as my old one didn't support 8X (that's my excuse and I am sticking to it, ok?)

Triple 6, more GM and Ford ;)

13. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Ferrari and VW

14. ShenaniganS

At the moment i have the 64 bit one. I havent had any problems at the moment but i have had it for about a year and a half and thought that a upgrade was needed.

I think that i will wait it out till my card cant handle the games no more and thats about the time i might need a new card.

Thanx for the help.

15. KeithKman

KeithKman

ShenaniganS: I would go nVidia, just because of preferance. If you have a 4times AGP get a Ti 4200 - 4600. If you have a 8 times AGP get a FX 5200 - 5900.

If you decide to go ATI, remeber to add/change the commands in your config.cfg for CS to:

ati_subdiv "0"
    ati_npatch "0"

Hope this helps! :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice