Need Advise Please

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rowan06

Hi,

I was thinking about getting a new computer, but the reality is that I have this:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1024mb Ram
120gb Hardrive
256mb ATI RADEON 9600
Sony DVDRW
Zorro Gaming Case

Now I dont play games on my PC cause I use my Xbox 360, so I dont need I high end gaming PC.

To be honest I could really just upgrade certain parts on this to make it a bit better... am I right?

Cause im saving up for a car so I dont wanna blow all my money on a new comp when this one is working perfectly fine..

So the upgrades I was thinking about getting was:

* More hardrive space.. Maybe 500gb
* Upgrade memory to 2gb or 4gb
* New PC case

Now here are the questions I need answered:

1. Would I be better buying like 1 x 500gb Hardrive, or 2 x 250gb Hardrive? Would one option be faster than the other at running, quiet or noisy etc etc?
2. Whats the best brand hardrives to look for?
3. If I am upgrading to 2gb or 4gb ram whats the best DDR to get?
4. Would I really see a big difference if I went from 1gb to 2 or 4gb with an AMD Athlon 64 3000+?
5. If I buy a new PC case, are they difficult to change over?

Hope to here some answers soon

Thanks,

BratDawg

Carla
Why are you needing such a large hard drive? Are you running out of space? Could some of your space issues be resolved by offing pictures and media to cd/dvd?

Why would you need a new case?

You also will want to pull up your motherboard specs FIRST and see what it will max at.

More ram and a better video card are usually very good upgrades, but it looks like you might not need a better video card. Depends on what you're trying to do.

What are you wanting to do that your current computer doesn't do? That might help people here give better advice.

Rowan06

I just want to have the extra space.. Ive got 120gb just now and its a pain.. I like building a big media library.

The case is the main thing, this is the one I got:

And its kinda battered up.. Ive had the computer for 2 years. And I just though a change of case would freshin it up a bit. Plus my DVDRW drive is jamming on the way out cause of the case.

The motherboard specs.. how do I get all that up to show?

I mean I paid £800 2 years ago for the computer and its been fine, but Im just at that stage I wanted a fresh computer, but I dont have the money so upgrading might be better.

I have a SATA II internal 500gb it works fine no speed prob for me.

Western Digital is a good brand.

If your NOT going to use this machine for gaming than 2 GB ram is enough. Ram has little to do with the CPU... ram is for speeding up apps and opening multiple programs at once.

If you don't know how to change over your case, then I would just leave it as is.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online