1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Advise Transferring Data files from Mac OS to Win Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gmarker, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmarker

gmarker Thread Starter

Very simply, I had A Mac 12" powerbook g4 with internal 160GB ata/ide hard drive, and the very old G4 powerbook power supply or logic board goes dead. I tried another power supply and it's EOL.... period. I disassembled the Powerbook G4 12" which is a very laborious and painful experience, just to recover the Internal Hitachi 5400RPM ATA/IDE 160MB Hard Drive. My Dilemma is that I have precious turbo tax files from Tax Clients and thousands of other files on that HD and I'm sure the 160GB HD is ok. I need advise as the best economical way to transfer files from that bare internal HFS Formatted ATA/IDE Drive to a USB External drive. I have a working USB 2.0 External drive case that has a typical Enhanced IDE Drive with a 36 Pin Ribbon cable. I have transferred 4 other Mac Formatted ATA drive files with this same USB external enclosure to the Toshiba listed below, all drives were formatted Mac OS HFS. The win freeware utility I found that worked well was called RUN HFSexplorer and I found on either sourgeforce or about.com blog. Now the real challenge is how to connect that Hitachi 5400RPM ATA/IDE 160MB Hard Drive that has a 48 pin connector to my Enhanced IDE Drive with a 36 Pin cable. It must also must provide power to the ATA/IDE Drive. The only easy way if possible would be renting or obtaining another Macbook that might have a compatible internal drive connector, but that's dicey also, and who has a spare Macbook lying around? I have deep Technical knowledge but this debacle has challenged me to say the least. I know you might be thinking why didn't I backup the G4 HD. Well that is because both the USB and Firewire ports blew out of the PB G4 years ago so I backed up on a internal G4 HD partition, well now that does me no good either! So, if anyone has some helpful suggestions please provide some insight. I would be greatly appreciative.

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2939 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1342 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 229584 MB, Free - 97287 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think you can simply connect the Hitachi internal drive to a USB adapter and plug it straight into the Toshiba laptop. There's no need to move the files onto another external Usb drive first.

Something like this should work :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156017

IDE 2.5" laptop drives all have 48 pins, like this :-
    [​IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice