1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need advise

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by TomNa, Jul 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TomNa

TomNa Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm currently using an Intel Pentium G2020 at 2.90GHz, my mainboard is MSI H61M-P31/W8
    with 4G of DDR3 RAM (Single), I'm using the build-in graphic card with 2G memory (if i understand it correctly), on Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    when i play Flash games on the internet my PC slows down significantly, if i don't close and reopen the browser when it's starting to slow down it can get to a point where the Flash Player crashes or the browser is non responsive.
    My question is do i need a better graphic card so it wont happen, or if i add another 4G of DDR3 ram should do it? what is better if i have to choose between the two? or are there any other ideas ?
    Thanks

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What browser are you using when this happens ?
    Is it only in flash games or also in YouTube etc ?
    What sort of Internet connection do you have ?

3. TomNa

TomNa Thread Starter

It happens in all browsers (using FF,Edge,Maxthon,Opera), some games doesn't slow it down to a crash but Facebook games for instance always brings it to crash eventually, YouTube slows it down and rarely crashes, It takes a lot of tabs to be open for it to crash or watching YouTube for a long time.
    In FF for instance when I open a game, in Task Manager it shows FF takes 330MB of memory and the flash player is taking 400+MB of memory and 60% of the CPU.
    I'm connected through ADSL 15MB

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That motherboard has 2 DIMM slots and supports up to 16 GB(8 GB X 2) of DDR3-1333 RAM.
    That processor is a dual core model and has an average benchmark score of 2780.
    That processor has integrated Intel HD Graphics which runs at a frequency of 650 MHz.

Since that computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows 10, I would add another 4 GB module to the empty DIMM slot and run it with 8 GB.

If you want to install a graphics card to have better gaming and video quality, you first need to make sure the computer's power supply can handle it.
    What's the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply in it?

By the way, that motherboard doesn't have full driver support for Windows 10 64-bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. TomNa

TomNa Thread Starter

The power supply brand is "Power man" model no. IP-S450BQ3-3, 450W output
    What does it mean?
    By the way according to the MSI website this motherboard supports DDR3-1600 MHz with IntelĀ® Ivy Bridge processors, according to CPU-Z this processor is Ivy Bridge, but i think the one i have now is 1333MHz so i guess i have to add the same type, right?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm already aware of that.
    Yes, you want both modules to have the same speed.
    If you install a DDR3-1600 module with a DDR3-1333 module, both modules will run at the slower 1333 MHz speed.

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. Floridagal1

Floridagal1

If you want to upgrade your graphics card find out what it can handle first, then make sure it has plenty of dedicated memory. Using the memory on your computer works somewhat, but isn't the best way to go. You will still experience some lag from time to time. My daughter is an online gamer and that dedicated memory built into the graphics card is absolutely mandatory for games to run well.

8. TomNa

TomNa Thread Starter

So what kind of graphic card would you recommend ? with how much memory?

9. Floridagal1

Floridagal1

I would run the Belarc advisor and take that info to a reputable computer store in your area. They can fill you in on exactly what your computer can handle and suggest brands. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

10. TomNa

TomNa Thread Starter

I think i'm gonna go with adding the 2nd 4 GB module.
    The question is should i buy the 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz, since its the same price and although i know it will run on 1333 MHz i figure why not take the better one? am i right?

11. Floridagal1

Floridagal1

Go to www.crucial.com. Their scanner will take a look at your system and tell you exactly what is best for your system.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    All of the sites for the Powerman IP-S450BQ3-3 450W power supply are in non-English, so I'm unable to determine what its specifications are and how long its warranty is.
    It may very well be a quality power supply, but it may also be a piece of junk.

--------------------------------------------------------------

13. TomNa

TomNa Thread Starter

Thanks all for helping

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice